Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American injury claims

American injury claims

I'm making a suit out of New York! for catastrophic injury claims does the federal or state government tax settlements ?
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 01-29-2016 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    I'm making a suit out of New York against GM! for catastrophic injury claims does the federal or state government tax settlements ?
    Yes, but you are canadian so I have no idea about how tax law affects you. I am sure you will pay the lawyers more then the government since most injury claims are done on a contingency basis. How is GM responsible for your injury?

I don't know how that would work either! That's ridiculous that they tax catastrophic injury claims in Canada we pay no tax on any injury claim settlements. I don't think the government should be able to talk unless they plan on seven sending someone to give you a break from the chair every now and then you still have to pay healthcare like anyone else except you're more likely to be sick and have to use it, still pay taxes state taxes etc. that's ridiculous !

Blog Entries
    My settlement wasn't taxed.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

I'm pretty sure the federal govt doesn't tax personal injury settlements. As far as states go, it might be a state by state issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    My settlement wasn't taxed.
    Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by tarantella View Post
    I'm pretty sure the federal govt doesn't tax personal injury settlements. As far as states go, it might be a state by state issue.
    The feds didn't several years ago.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Blog Entries
    They don't even tax my disability insurance payments. I pay an effective rate of 0%, but get thousands back every year due to tax credits. That is completely stupid.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    They don't even tax my disability insurance payments. I pay an effective rate of 0%, but get thousands back every year due to tax credits. That is completely stupid.
    Long Term Disability is paid with after tax dollars which is why the payout isn't taxed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Long Term Disability is paid with after tax dollars which is why the payout isn't taxed.
    Indeed. I can't help but think it's a little dumb that I can pay no taxes and still get a $5-7,000 check from the government every year. Some years even more!! I'm the last person that needs it. It's nice, and useful, to be sure, but hardly "make or break". I guess I'm in a "cripple sweet spot" as far as tax code is concerned. Can't help but wonder how much more money the gub'ment is pissing away. Someone else earned my "refund" as income! Seems like straight up redistribution.