Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Sportaid

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    You realize they are going to be much heavier than your Dino. I had Dinos for a couple of years and demoed wheels very similar to the ones pictured. They looked great but I was spoiled by the lightness of the Dinos. As much as I dislike Spinergy Corp., I went back to them.
    When the tires are inflated to max capacity, the weight of the chair/wheels make no difference. I've had a 40 pound chair, a 20 pound chair and this is a 15 pound chair. The air in the tires made them all feel the same. The Natural Fit hand-rims on the Dino's made it even easier. Thank you for the comment though! (I've been in a wheelchair for 15 years almost.)
    I'm Sam.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by sam10685 View Post
    When the tires are inflated to max capacity, the weight of the chair/wheels make no difference. I've had a 40 pound chair, a 20 pound chair and this is a 15 pound chair. The air in the tires made them all feel the same. The Natural Fit hand-rims on the Dino's made it even easier. Thank you for the comment though! (I've been in a wheelchair for 15 years almost.)
    Weight does matter (I've been in a wheelchair for 31 years almost.)

  3. #23
    Senior Member Oddity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,762
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by giles88 View Post
    Weight does matter (I've been in a wheelchair for 31 years almost.)
    I think it matters a lot less than we're led to believe by companies marketing chairs. All else being equal and ideal between 2 chairs, meaning fit and function are perfect in both, the lighter chair is generally the better choice. Especially if transferring it to and from a car is part of your regular routine. There is a noticeable difference in the pain I feel in my elbow and shoulder between my 2 most frequently used chairs. One is 10lbs lighter than the other.

    It does matter. Not to everyone, and perhaps not for the same reasons, granted, and also not to the extent the hype would have us believe weight matters, but it is a factor worth considering.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

    "Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I think it matters a lot less than we're led to believe by companies marketing chairs. All else being equal and ideal between 2 chairs, meaning fit and function are perfect in both, the lighter chair is generally the better choice. Especially if transferring it to and from a car is part of your regular routine. There is a noticeable difference in the pain I feel in my elbow and shoulder between my 2 most frequently used chairs. One is 10lbs lighter than the other.

    It does matter. Not to everyone, and perhaps not for the same reasons, granted, and also not to the extent the hype would have us believe weight matters, but it is a factor worth considering.
    I agree, weight is not the primary factor for deciding on which chair to get. I also think that weight becomes more important as you age, less weight equals less joint pain. At the stage in life where i am at now, weight is a very important factor. Equally important are bearings, ceramic hybrids are what i use now.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I think it matters a lot less than we're led to believe by companies marketing chairs. All else being equal and ideal between 2 chairs, meaning fit and function are perfect in both, the lighter chair is generally the better choice. Especially if transferring it to and from a car is part of your regular routine. There is a noticeable difference in the pain I feel in my elbow and shoulder between my 2 most frequently used chairs. One is 10lbs lighter than the other.

    It does matter. Not to everyone, and perhaps not for the same reasons, granted, and also not to the extent the hype would have us believe weight matters, but it is a factor worth considering.
    Make sure you have fully inflated tires (Schwalbe Marathon Pluses are really good with 145psi max. pressure) and all will be good for you.
    I'm Sam.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Oddity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,762
    Blog Entries
    1
    Bearings are something I have never really considered. Still running the same ones that came in my everyday chair nearly 7years ago. All 4 Wheels still spin freely. Should I consider changing them anyway?
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

    "Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Bearings are something I have never really considered. Still running the same ones that came in my everyday chair nearly 7years ago. All 4 Wheels still spin freely. Should I consider changing them anyway?
    I would suggest you get a set of ceramic hybrids and replace them, try them out and feel the difference. 7 years use on the original set of bearings that came in your chair!??

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Bearings are something I have never really considered. Still running the same ones that came in my everyday chair nearly 7years ago. All 4 Wheels still spin freely. Should I consider changing them anyway?
    If the wheels spin freely buys new bearings is a waste of money (and time, bearings are a pain to replace). Keeping your tires inflated to 120 psi gets you more than any bearing could.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Oddity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,762
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Bearings are something I have never really considered. Still running the same ones that came in my everyday chair nearly 7years ago. All 4 Wheels still spin freely. Should I consider changing them anyway?
    Yup. Every one. All 4 wheels and the fork stems. Same tires, too. One original inner tube. (Schwalbe Marathons and their full steel stem tubes.). I even ride this thing into the shower every couple of months. Granted, I have a second chair dedicated as a "lawn chair" the that sees all the dirty uses. That was is 2 years newer and still all original. Tubes and tires included. I reckon I must be really easy on my chairs!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

    "Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

  10. #30
    Senior Member Oddity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,762
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    If the wheels spin freely buys new bearings is a waste of money (and time, bearings are a pain to replace). Keeping your tires inflated to 120 psi gets you more than any bearing could.
    Yeah, I suspect so. Just pumped my junk up to their max of 145psi this morning and am loving it, for sure. Was down to ~60psi. Losing 15lbs wouldn't hurt, either!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

    "Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •