Thread: for those who live in a non-accessible apartment.....

for those who live in a non-accessible apartment.....

I am needing a little help in regards to how all of you are able to get in the bathroom in a non-accessible apartment. I am trying to make my apartment more wheelchair accessible (I could wheel around, but it was a tight squeeze before), but I am having trouble adapting the bathroom to where I don't have to transfer onto the toilet and push my wheelchair out the door in order to close the bathroom door to take a shower. I have no choice but to close the bathroom door when taking a shower, because there is a smoke detector right outside the bathroom door that goes off due to the steam from the shower if the door isn't closed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the bathroom more accessible in an apartment? I'd go to a different apartment in our apartment village, but none of the 2 bedroom ones are handicapped accessible.

I've had a bathroom like that in the past, but I didn't have the smoke detector problem. I guess the easiest solution would be to move the smoke detector. If you don't want to go the route of modifying the door to make it swing out into the hall, maybe you could rig a curtain across the door that you could pull closed when you shower and just leave the door as it is... but I don't know if that would be air-tight enough to keep the steam from hitting the smoke detector.

It kinda seems like steam shouldn't set off a smoke detector... then again I have no idea how they work.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I've had a bathroom like that in the past, but I didn't have the smoke detector problem. I guess the easiest solution would be to move the smoke detector. If you don't want to go the route of modifying the door to make it swing out into the hall, maybe you could rig a curtain across the door that you could pull closed when you shower and just leave the door as it is... but I don't know if that would be air-tight enough to keep the steam from hitting the smoke detector.

It kinda seems like steam shouldn't set off a smoke detector... then again I have no idea how they work.
    Years ago I was in a similar situation funk lab describes.... Didn't have a smoke detector problem but would suggest you get it moved or disable and put some other battery power detectors in another area. The apartment which was new and supposed to be built to access standards had the BR door opening inward and created blocking to tub, sink, commode, etc.
    Maintenance just changed the hinges to have the door open outward and it solved the problem.

Things are tough enough if there are any barriers that can be removed do it.
    Good luck

Suggest you work together with management for some simple changes.