Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Jerry Silver: Latest chronic SCI research results featured at Cleveland

I thought Dr Silver was using his own enzyme? He was well aware of the patents with Acorda. I'll have to watch the video ...
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

It is amazing nobody in the world organizing human Cha'se trial!?!
    or I have missed something?!
    can someone explain or post a link about
    specific Ch'ase used by Dr. Silver, please?
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by comad View Post
    It is amazing nobody in the world organizing human Cha'se trial!?!
    or I have missed something?!
    can someone explain or post a link about
    specific Ch'ase used by Dr. Silver, please?
    Yes, you missed something. It's called the "Chase It" project.

http://www.spinal-research.org/chondroitinase/

http://www.spinalcordinjury-paralysis.org/blogs/18/2655

https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/aboutus/newsandevents/news/newsarticles/royalhollowaytodeveloppioneeringtreatmentforspinal cordinjury.aspx

The dog clinical trials ... double blind I think. Results should come this year.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Thanks Grammy! England based proposed Cha'se (human) trials.
    That virus delivered gene modification for cells in damaged spinal cord to start Cha'se production sounds like a dream.
    BTW - when gene modification was mentioned - what is going on with Dr. Blackmore's work?
    And one more question while I have your attention:
    About Dr. Ahlfors work - I think he was playing with Cha'se (also with cethrin) along with his autologus stem cells?
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

I rather doubt anyone is playing with Cethrin. BioAxone’s neuroregenerative and neuroprotective biologic drug VX-210 (formerly known as Cethrin) is currently in clinical development for acute cervical spinal cord injury. VX-210 is licensed to "Vertex" and plans for a Phase IIb-3 trial are finally underway. They are planning on the trial to start in Q1 of this year. The beginning trials showed a lot of success. It may be possible that Vertex has other labs running combination tests for acute, but I don't know anything about that.

Incidentally, BioAxone also has BA-277 which acts on SCI glial scar and is being worked forward to Pre IND also. BioAxone has received funding from NIH/SBIR to investigate new drugs that may be promising to promote repair by removing inhibitory glial scar proteoglycans. I'm not positive but this may possibly have been the work out of the Herb Geller lab at the NIH and licensed to BioAxone recently. I'll be keeping an eye on it.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 02-03-2016 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    The Silver SCI research lab is dedicated to repairing the chronically injured spinal cord and restoring function after paralysis. The presentation at the Cleveland FES Centers Neural Prosthesis Seminar covers not only the remarkable robust recovery of bladder function but also the labs latest exciting successful results in restored functional breathing and ongoing locomotion work on their chronic spinal cord injury models.

LINK

If anyone has questions that they would like answered about this video please do so and I will respond.

Sincerely,

Jerry Silver, Ph.D.
    Professor

Quote Originally Posted by jsilver View Post
    If anyone has questions that they would like answered about this video please do so and I will respond.

Sincerely,

Jerry Silver, Ph.D.
    Professor
    That's great! Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by jsilver View Post
    You mentioned in the video presentation that results were even better in the chronic animals than they were in the acute ones on restored breathing. Can you elaborate on that and tell us where this would lead on patients presenting at the clinic in the future. Specifically, would there need to potentially be a delay because of what you're finding in the animal studies? Will that be the way you see this transitioning in humans for their treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    You mentioned in the video presentation that results were even better in the chronic animals than they were in the acute ones on restored breathing. Can you elaborate on that and tell us where this would lead on patients presenting at the clinic in the future. Specifically, would there need to potentially be a delay because of what you're finding in the animal studies? Will that be the way you see this transitioning in humans for their treatment?
    Thanks for the question.

We were incredibly surprised to see such remarkable functional recovery at such protracted times after SCI. After as little as 2 weeks in the chronic animals, the recovery is essentially back to normal in many, but not all, of the animals. This is very good news, indeed, for those with chronic cord injury. We are seeing enhanced functional recovery with a single microinjection of the chondoitinase enzyme in animals that are 3 months post injury. When we inject the enzyme immediately after injury we only see recovery to about 10% of normal. We don't have to wait the full 1.5 years. Why this is happening we can only speculate at present but we think that there is a slow plasticity going on that is being completely inhibited by the proteoglycans that cover up the newly made synaptic connections. This curtain of molecules is called the perineuronal net or PNN for short. Since most people with cord injuries are already beyond 3 months, these new results may offer real hope for the future.