Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plugged foley

plugged foley

plugged up woke at 2 with horrible head ache wet no oe I can call till later thank goodness it was coming out some

how can I have 1000cc in bag and be plugged up wish she woukd hurry

wish I could do it myself

is there any way to prevent this by maintence I had a huge plug but urine has been clear and I was at dr last may got stones and everything cleaned out
    Last edited by vjls; 01-25-2016 at 11:45 AM.

You need to have catheter irrigation supplies available for emergently unblocking plugging like this. This should includes some sterile normal saline (NaCl 0.9%) solution, and an irrigation syringe. Do you live alone? It is not difficult to learn how to do this. Ideally, you should also have another catheter and sterile changing kit available too so that the catheter can be changed (and have someone trained to do this) if the catheter cannot be unplugged.

How often does your catheter clog? If it is frequent, and you have to change catheters more often than every 2 weeks, you should consider daily Renacidin solution instillations (not irrigations). Discuss this with your urologist.

Of course keeping your urine very dilute by drinking plenty of fluids does help to prevent both encrustations and stones. You should be drinking at least 3 quarts daily with an indwelling catheter.

(KLD)

I have everything I keep extra but do not have the strength to push the water in the ballon its be 10 months since I plugged up and it was plugged when we pulled cath a big blob of something came out too

instant relief I live alone I called my dr and they said if again call and come in I thought about letting water out of ballon but I heard that the hole can close quickly so I did not do that

No one you can call to help you? A neighbor who could learn? A family member? Is your PCA on-call? You should be able to learn to use a bulb syringe to do this at C7.

(KLD)

It doesn't work all the time but I've cleared clogs by bending or twisting the catheter, starting from from the point of entry working outward. I've also had success smacking the tubing against a hard surface (TV remote control).

I did not want to call her @ 2am in the morning all my family knows how but everyone has moved I am only 1 left but I am moving in a coupleo of months to fl right accosee the canal from my sister

I am gonn try next time we change I believe I can I just tried to draw water in stringe and I did now if I can push it in

I tried that and squish tummy moved it around it was really plugged I was surprised as urine in tube has been clear not much in it

but have not tried remote lol

If your still clogged call 911 and get to the ER so they can change it and remove the clog.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

I called my caregiver and she came out but it was @8am but

seriously if I would get the water out of ballon and get out but will the hole close up fast or .....I am gonna try the next couple of change to do myself

Blog Entries
    If it is REALLY clogged, you can't force water backwards to push it into bladder nor can you suck it out with syringe, I know from experience. When mine clogs and I'm asleep, my bladder fills up and then it starts leaking past the sphincter into my bed. I don't get dysreflexia fortunately. As KLD said try to learn if at all possible, I am a t4 so I can't relate to your troubles. But if it is a real clog, all you can do is change it. I take mine out and squeeze/roll it around between my fingers in a tub of water on my lap, from end to end, takes a few minutes to get it all out, I know this isn't possible for you. I don't know how fast the sphincter will close if you remove it. All I can suggest is when you have a caregiver around, run a test....let your bladder overfill(plug your cath) as it does/did in this situation and then deflate the ballon and pull it out slowly, see what happens. I know when I get out of my chair and into the tub with a clog and distended bladder that hasn't leaked yet, as soon as I raise up and move it starts leaking by. When it happens from bed and I go(hasn't leaked by then and bladder is distended) to get in my chair from the bed, it starts leaking also. Maybe you can just try raising up to get in your chair, if possible, to start it leaking to prevent dysreflexia. I would try anything in an emergency. Like I said before, I only got it once, in rehab, I'm lucky I guess. I feel for you guys that get it. I've mangled my body, legs, hips, feet, shoulders, fingers, you name it, just kept going til I could get it fixed. You have to do what it takes to survive. The first time I awoke with a pee bag full of blood I freaked out, called TIRR and they said to go to emergency room. Didn't drive then, no insurance, didn't call an ambulance. Since I couldn't feel it, just changed the foley and sat back and waited to see what would happen. Those first two years were a trip. My bowel backed up for 3 weeks, one day I crapped a 10 inch round turd that musta weighed 10 pounds, I shit you not, no pun intended :^). Told my best friend to drive over and look at my 'baby' I had just given birth to. Been exciting to say the least, found these boards about 2004 or so and everyone here taught me a lot, changed my life entirely, I went from surviving to living. Good luck!