Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cushion after pressure ulcer

Thank you all. I'm going to be pressure mapiped at the college here in the physical therapy department with the gel cushion I have and air.
    Marie
    Unbroken by the grace of God

After my first one I went to a Roho for everything from my chair to the gym and sometimes even airlines. I'm lucky I have pretty normal feeling/sensation so I know when and how much things hurt and when I need to do a pressure relief. I was dumb and rode my sand rail, with out it and paid the price for it by getting another one in the general area of the first. So I had to give that up even with a Roho I couldn't take that chance with all the pounding. Took up Handcycling and do some Marathons, Half's and Relays.
    I still have pain at times if I bump it or something but I was told I will always have pain at times and its been 10yrs ago and its true. So whatever cushion you decide just make sure u never have another one. My buddy just had his 6th surgery for a ulcer.

Good Luck! Low Profile user hear.

ROHO cushions are great.......hard on your balance and hard on your back and everthing else to help you stay stabile. KLD.....do me a favor sometime if you can and sit on a 4 inch high profile and drive you car on a trip and after 4 hours tell use if you back is killing you.....thanks. other I have had done it said it was killing there back. I let them borrow one of mine....one of my kids tried it......lol
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    ROHO cushions are great.......hard on your balance and hard on your back and everthing else to help you stay stabile. KLD.....do me a favor sometime if you can and sit on a 4 inch high profile and drive you car on a trip and after 4 hours tell use if you back is killing you.....thanks. other I have had done it said it was killing there back. I let them borrow one of mine....one of my kids tried it......lol
    Probably because you don't have enough lumbar support. Try using a lumbar pillow on your van or car seat. Lots of people can't use a high profile in a car or van seat as it makes them sit too high in the seat. A low profile may be sufficient for driving.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    You should look into a Ride custom cushion.
    I've had both a custom ride cushion and roho high profile cushion. It entirely depends on the severity of your disability. I'm a spina bifida rider, I have full momentum of my legs so I tend to move around in my seat a lot. The ride Cushion is designed in a way that it's essentially a bucket seat and you CANNOT MOVE in the cushion otherwise you will be inhibiting the way the cushion is designed. if you're the type of person to move around and can walk with crutches with a small degree then I'd suggest the Roho. I've had a pressure ulcer for 6 years with 2 surgeries and decided to go with a Ride cushion only to realize that my wound would get worse because I did not position my self on the cushion properly. I had a roho for 3 years before that and decided to go back to it after my wound got worse on the Ride cushion. Keep in mind I had the ride cushion pressure mapped and it's great if you use it properly (are a quad or have no movement in hips).

I just found a picture of a pretty much perfect pressure mapping. Check it out:

Some of my pressure mapping had a lot of red all over the place

This one is when I had a huge red mark on my tailbone. Fortunately, we can't that before got too big
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

C6/7 quad here. I used Jay Actives for many years, then developed my first pressure sore after 25+ years in a chair. I made the switch to Roho's - 1st a 2" then a 3". Constant 'flats' pushed me to find a better solution. I bought a Supracor Stimulite after reading lots of reviews and couldn't be happier. The wound healed quicker then when on the Roho and it's more stable to sit on...and...no more flats!!!

Yep c5-c6 have had a stimulite for 8 years. Wouldn't have anything else.

I use a supracor contour and love it. my wound just opens up to .1cm w to .2 cm length to skin scrap deep. each day it grows at the same pace or smaller. when it gets to .3-4cm w x .5-7cm d x .1 -.3 cm d I will stay in bed for 2 weeks and it will heal. Supracor, Roho, jay2, Varalite, and others yield the same result. I hope the Vicair will let me off load the sore. Tomorrow I meet with insurance provider to discus getting mapped. I more than not will be buying myy own Vicair. donnie

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    I sat on Jay cushions for 28 years, principally the Jay2 model. I have never had any sores, other than the rare incident of pinkness that needed a bit of rest.
    I bought a Jay 2 thinking it would clear up a pressure sore and promptly got another one in a different spot. When I was getting pressure mapped the PT said that she had seen more than a few people with ulcers in that exact spot using J2s. In an unrelated note, anyone want a slightly used J2 16x18 with two covers for a very reasonable price