Thread: bleeding from the penis

bleeding from the penis

Hi,

anthony was in the hospital for over 17 days had to have surgery for a bleeding ulcer in the duodenum. Anyway he had a foley catheter in for the whole 17 days. He usually just gets intermittently cathed at home. He just got home tonight and when I cathed him for the first time being home and when i tried to put the catheter up as far as we usually do it was hard to do that. Then when I pulled it out blood came out as well.

What is causing this and what should I keep an eye out for. It seems that if the foley catheter was bigger in diameter than his 14 french catheters he uses at home there shouldn't be an issue. Anyway just alarmed at the blood. Any advice? Of course it is the weekend and I can't call his urologist.
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

It is just a little blood or does your urine look like red-wine? I have had both, the former was just a scratch inside my urethra which my urologist gave me antibiotics and switched catheter brands on me. The latter was a hemorrhagic UTI and was scary as shit but cleared up with antibiotics. I am sure people will jump in and say rush to the doctor but if its a little blood I would wait a couple days to see if it clears up.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    It is just a little blood or does your urine look like red-wine? I have had both, the former was just a scratch inside my urethra which my urologist gave me antibiotics and switched catheter brands on me. The latter was a hemorrhagic UTI and was scary as shit but cleared up with antibiotics. I am sure people will jump in and say rush to the doctor but if its a little blood I would wait a couple days to see if it clears up.
    I gave him some water all day in his feeding tube via pump very slowly to hydrate him. seems to be doing the trick. his urine is now flowing into his bed bag and is clearing up no more blood. Was very dark earlier and nothing came out when cathed him but that seems to be clearing up thank God. Praying it stays this way and get back to normal. I'll be taking his urine in for testing this week.
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

Could be this:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...age-in-urethra

Hope he continues to clear up.

How did his surgery go on to his duodenum? I went through a surgery for a collapsed one back in September
    C4 incomplete since 1985