Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quads living alone. What is your living arrangement?

I am not a quad, but have a L 4/5 SCI and a upper motor neuron defect, and I live by myself. I do have 2 caregivers 7 days a week. One works in the morning to help me get dressed, do medicine through my feeding tube, and a shower. The evening one helps me with dinner, getting ready for bed, and evening medicine. Both caregivers do daily housekeeping such as sweeping, dishes, moping, vacuuming, and cleaning the cat litter box.

More Between McDonough/Hampton.

I would prefer to live in a condo to avoid the expense of upkeep on a home. The trouble is all of the condos close to me are in Metro Atlanta. I have no friends or family that direction. So I would be completely dependent on caregivers, which we all know can be less than reliable Even with the best of them. The area where I live now with my father is chock-full of Friends and family that could be at my door five minutes or less. My father wants me to go into an independent living facility so there would always be someone there to assist me when/if I needed it. If I speak about anything other than that he pretty much disregards it. I know he only wants the best for me so I don't hold it against him too much. This is so stressful!

Thanks for the feedback on everything. Please keep it coming!

My mom has a 1 acre property here in Scottsdale. After my grandparents both passed away they were able to sell the house near San Francisco and with that money they built a guesthouse for me that I lived in with a roll in shower, one bedroom and a huge living room/kitchen with wooden floors. I lived there for roughly 7 years. It was nice because if I ever had an emergency, I could call my family and get some help with the rest of the time I would get caregivers for 3.5 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night. I started having problems with caregivers not showing up, I've developed epilepsy and get seizures occasionally and my mom needed the money so I moved into a group home. I really miss living alone although I didn't have a lot of friends. Here in the group home, most of the guys here have brain injuries and I think I'm the only one active in getting out of the house to hang out with other gimps. Before I moved into the guesthouse, I had an apartment but it got too expensive. I guess I lived alone for roughly 8 years or I can tape mostly alone. Good luck with it. I'm going to start looking for a place that has a roll in shower that I can afford to move into. Hope this helps. I've been here now for 3 years and it's still kind of weird
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    My mom has a 1 acre property here in Scottsdale. After my grandparents both passed away they were able to sell the house near San Francisco and with that money they built a guesthouse for me that I lived in with a roll in shower, one bedroom and a huge living room/kitchen with wooden floors. I lived there for roughly 7 years. It was nice because if I ever had an emergency, I could call my family and get some help with the rest of the time I would get caregivers for 3.5 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night. I started having problems with caregivers not showing up, I've developed epilepsy and get seizures occasionally and my mom needed the money so I moved into a group home. I really miss living alone although I didn't have a lot of friends. Here in the group home, most of the guys here have brain injuries and I think I'm the only one active in getting out of the house to hang out with other gimps. Before I moved into the guesthouse, I had an apartment but it got too expensive. I guess I lived alone for roughly 8 years or I can tape mostly alone. Good luck with it. I'm going to start looking for a place that has a roll in shower that I can afford to move into. Hope this helps. I've been here now for 3 years and it's still kind of weird
    Rybread, this outfit ASI does a lot of good work in creating accessible affordable housing. This is what they have available in in AZ : http://www.accessiblespace.org/arizo...ssible-housing

I'm not SCI but paralyzed - can't help with that part of your question about personal care needs. The issue that I'm looking at is the view of your father and your view. It seems more discussion may be needed to come to some plan that would suit you both.
    If you moved into a condo in Metro Atlanta, how long would it take for someone to visit? My view of Atlanta from driving through it a few times, is lots of transportation options - I'm not familiar with whether they have accessible rapid transit - that would allow you to get out and about. How do you get out now?
    You may be aware of the Independent Living movement - there should be a Center or Network in Atlanta that is for disabled persons. One of their missions is assisting with a persons' transition INTO independent living. (They are not a residence) You might want to consider a meeting with them, maybe with your father, to discuss options. Focus on what you want.

I would really love a situation where I was living with another person Able-bodied or disabled… Either way. It sure would be nice to live in my own home with someone else who could share with the expenses. I imagine making it complicated though. Anybody have any experience with that kind of living arrangement? As I said before, a condo would be the best, but A house would be okay as well (provided there's not a lot of grass to mow).

Are there any other people out there that are living in an independent living facility? Is it your ideal? What would you change if you could?

Thanks again-Craig

Will just add that my husband and I are both in wheelchairs - he's SCI para and me Polio. We have owned our own home for about 40 years and have a cleaning service every other week and a lawn/snow plow service. That fellow also will do odd jobs for us. Our budget allows for these services - which we searched out and hired. Years ago we had to let go one house cleaner and one lawn fellow, but otherwise have had good luck with workers. A home does involve a certain level of upkeep and the unexpected. I have relatives who live in condos and they are happy with the services that come with condo ownership.
    Prior to buying our home we lived for a year in a 1 bedroom very accessible, but small apartment. Constant trouble with people parking in our assigned parking spot - get home from work and our spot taken! Not good situation for us. Would recommend 2 bedroom if you go with a condo.

I have a contractor who I trust implicitly for all work I get my yard done 4a for 120.00 my caretake does light housework

I am moving to fl middle march myhouse is 3br 2 bath rollin shower lamar county if not to far pm there are college kids always looking and I have a great care taker 11.00 hr

Think I'm going to ask another question has its own topic… Something like "what functions do you have left and how has that impacted how you live (with family, along with caregivers, a roommate). I'll find it a little bit today and post it this evening I guess.