Thread: SSDI, retirement

SSDI, retirement

Hi, I currently work for the state, with a defined pension when I retire. We also are able to participate in a deferred compensation program. As of now, I hope to work until I am 50-55 (another 10-15 years), assuming my health allows. I would then have 22-27 years with the state. My question is, when I do retire, I assume I would be eligible for SSDI again. With the resource/income limitations of SSDI, I assume if possible I'd have to set up my pension to fall within the SSDI limits? And am I better off not contributed to a deferred comp program, because I would then exceed the SSDI limits?

I think it depends on the terms of your def comp plan unless total assets count. I retired at 49 due to paralysis using my states pension, no ssdi though. However the only requirement on my def comp was to take the minimum distribution by age 70 1/2.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

"The SSDI program does not put a limit on the amount of assets or unearned income you have (or income that your spouse may earn), unlike the low-income disability program, Supplemental Security Income (SSI).However, the Social Security Administration (SSA) does put a limit on the amount of money that you can earn through work when you receive Social Security disability benefits, because if you can earn an income, you aren't considered disabled."

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/res...-ssdi-benefits

my reading of that is you could have a Billion dollars invested in stocks and be getting a million dollars a month in pension and still collect your SSDI as long as you were not working to earn any of that income.

you are correct

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    "The SSDI program does not put a limit on the amount of assets or unearned income you have (or income that your spouse may earn), unlike the low-income disability program, Supplemental Security Income (SSI).However, the Social Security Administration (SSA) does put a limit on the amount of money that you can earn through work when you receive Social Security disability benefits, because if you can earn an income, you aren't considered disabled."

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/res...-ssdi-benefits

my reading of that is you could have a Billion dollars invested in stocks and be getting a million dollars a month in pension and still collect your SSDI as long as you were not working to earn any of that income.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thank you all for the helpful feedback. I realized after looking at the info further that my concern is more for maintaining eligibility for medical assistance in order to receive personal care assistance, and not so much with SSDI. I currently participate in medical assistance for workers with disabilities, which qualifies me to receive pca through the Independence Waiver (resource limit of $8k), so my same questions now relate to that?