Thread: Low Air Loss mattress

Low Air Loss mattress

I am trying to choose what company to buy a true low air loss mattress for my son who recently had flap surgery. Any recommendations?

I have a First Step Tricell mattress with pump (80L x 35W x 10D) , it worked wonders for me. I upgraded but am willing to sellthis one

There are many good LAL mattresses on the market, but I would recommend getting one that has local service available. They frequently need repair and parts replacement. We use a lot of Joerns products, and in the past have used Invacare and Hill-Rom, but both of those had very limited local service, which was not good quality, so we have stuck to Joerns. KCI recently sold their support surface division to Arjo-Huntleigh.

(KLD)

Right now I am currently using and Invacare ma80 But after my flap surgery on my Sacrum I was using a Drive medical Which can be found on eBay for around $400! That Invacare is around $2500
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Is there a new lateral rotation low air loss mattress out there which doesn't have side bolsters which are always higher than the rest of the mattress, even when on center static or the firmest setting? I'm hoping to replace an Invacare Turn-Q Plus which is no longer manufactured or supported, and is down to its last replacement parts. For the Turned-Q, once centered or on auto firm, the surface is all at the same level, although while rotating, the outside most bolster remains at maximum inflation someone from rolling off. I'd like to find a new mattress which works the same way, but it looks like from the manufacturers above and the others I've seen, the mattresses all have side bolsters which are always 2 or 3 inches higher than the patient's level. For me, this would present a hill for urine and ventilator condensation to climb before they could drain, causing backwash, and dysreflexia, and making me more vulnerable to infections; as well as making cleaning and exercises more difficult for the people who assist me.

I'm undecided about which is better, a compressor or blower, and there would probably be other things I would need in the mattress, but these tall side bolsters stand out as a problem.

Anything out there?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    There are many good LAL mattresses on the market, but I would recommend getting one that has local service available. They frequently need repair and parts replacement. We use a lot of Joerns products, and in the past have used Invacare and Hill-Rom, but both of those had very limited local service, which was not good quality, so we have stuck to Joerns. KCI recently sold their support surface division to Arjo-Huntleigh.

(KLD)
    you sure are right regarding Hill ROM. Following surgery I was on a Clinatron for a while, my insurance paid a fortune for it. They had a office a couple towns over, and work pretty reliable about getting over here to service it. I didn't like it because it was so hot, and I've read the downsides of therapy includes. Also the in-home unit did not go up and down and my caregivers backs were getting broken. I went to a level II low air loss mattress made by Hill ROM, Flexicare eclipse also made by Hill ROM. Truthfully I had very good luck with it, but when something went wrong they refuse to come out and fix it, told me it had been discontinued. The kicker is I gave them the $50,000 Clinaton just to get it out of my home, as I don't know how you could sell something that heavy filled with sand. Will never deal with Hill ROM again.

KCI absolutely makes the best equipment in my opinion:Both for purpose and longevity. My husband utilized one of these beds upon discharge from facility with 4 decubitous ulcers. After much nay-saying from folks who had never seen this bed, I healed All Four, by myself at home. He spent the rest of his days, skin/pressure issue free. Not the slightest of marks ever. Excellent stimulation for the circulatory system in our experience.

KCI has become Arjo-Huntleigh, and the folks in my area were always wonderful to render aid in the event it was needed.

No longer have a need for, in the event you may be interested.

Home--katiii2@yahoo.com