Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: An update article on Darek Fidyka

Thumbs up An update article on Darek Fidyka

Here's a recent article updating everyone on the progress of Darek Fidyka. He's the gentleman that had the mucosa nose cell surgery with transplanted cells from the brain and a nerve bridge done by the surgeon in Poland. LINK

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    that was a long read, but didn't seem to say too much! The description of where the cells were mined from and why was interesting, as well as why he was such a good candidate for their first try.

Had to go re-read the original thread.. to see if it changed any of the opinions.. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...hlight=Raisman

Shame the BBC are so hopeless and won't just stream or allow youtube to archive those programs. Not like they really hold much value past their original broadcast date.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    that was a long read, but didn't seem to say too much! The description of where the cells were mined from and why was interesting, as well as why he was such a good candidate for their first try.

Had to go re-read the original thread.. to see if it changed any of the opinions.. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...hlight=Raisman

Shame the BBC are so hopeless and won't just stream or allow youtube to archive those programs. Not like they really hold much value past their original broadcast date.
    You've picked up on many of the things that were initially reported but the articles were so inaccurate because of the media attempts to hype the single patient story. I'm glad the author took the time to review the cell origin, the added nerve graft and clean knife wound to the cord for starters. When the story broke, luckily I put all the media links into one post so it wouldn't be spread throughout the blog pages. Many of internet webpages or youtube are ultimately deleted over time.

Looks like they are recruiting for trials another couple of people to have this done. There is more info on it and an update on Darek here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35660621

This is in the news today and whilst it does not give information on how/if the treatment could be applied to a wider range of injuries, it does provide an update on Darek's progress:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35660621

Quote Originally Posted by niallel View Post
    Looks like they are recruiting for trials another couple of people to have this done. There is more info on it and an update on Darek here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35660621
    Yes, it says they are searching around the entire globe for 2 people that have this specific thin clean knife wound. Unfortunately the vast majority of all SCI do not have that type of wound. (That's why they're looking worldwide for their injury model).

Good point.
    When you add to that the people with that injury have to be willing to let someone extract the olfactory bulb from the base of their brain - there are probably only 2 people in the world this could apply to.

Quote Originally Posted by niallel View Post
    Good point.
    When you add to that the people with that injury have to be willing to let someone extract the olfactory bulb from the base of their brain - there are probably only 2 people in the world this could apply to.
    Yes, the cell extraction is pretty awful but they are also having to lay in and apply a sural nerve graft across too. There's lots of pieces to this. I heard awhile back that they would be looking for acute knife wounds to do this experiment on. There probably are not that many clean knife wounds out there and then add in the cell extraction surgery and sural nerve grafting and it gets complicated for sure.

When you say acute knife wound, do you mean acute as in less than 2 years after injury?
    I think Darek was near 2 years after when he had the surgery.

What I like about this article/video is that they are telling people what they have done and what has worked. They are doing this without having to be published in the medical press beforehand.

Do they have something to loose by doing it this way?

If not I wish everyone would publish their findings in a way we can understand, seeing a bit of progress in the light of day is great and gives me a bit of hope that there will be a fix for us.
    Last edited by niallel; 03-04-2016 at 06:14 PM. Reason: grammar

Does it only have to be a clean knife cut in order to prove a nerve regeneration? Let's say they try it on a few chronic complete subjects, and then all of them would show improvements, would this not be enough?