Thread: Winter tips

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Winter tips

Hi i would like to know how many layers and which clothes are necessary to keep warm in winter? likes Toronto winter.

Im frome a very warm place (Cancun) and im going to travel maybe to live in Toronto.

I have spinal cord injury level C6, so i can't feel when my legs and feet are cold.

i have to know if i need to increase the width of my seat for the clothes. my actual chair is 16.5" of seat width and i have .5" of free space.

Thanks

few thin layers(under amour) then a fleece vest(Columbia). for me at c5-6 if I wear to much it restricts my movement to much. the fleece vest lets my arms move comfortably for transfers and pushing.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Do you get cold in airconditioner or in Cancun? I would come prepared-With cervical SCI you can have Poikilothermia- your body takes on temperature of environment and more prone to cold or heat. Also feeling cold is common, even when warm. In Houston, some of our SCI patients are cold even in the summer. Layering,as recommended and thermal undergarments also.
    CWO

Depends on what you are doing. If you are going from vehicle to a building in a few minutes it is no big deal. Remember that it will be warm when you get inside. If you are going to be out in the cold for more than 15 minutes or so it becomes a more serious issue. Your legs and feet will be vulnerable to frostbite in below freezing temperatures. There is plenty of outside winter apparel that will work. Layering works good for your upper body but there is a problem with your lower extremities because of difficulties changing pants and shoes/boots.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

The seat of my chair is 16" and there are side guards that keep my clothing tucked in. After struggling with big jackets, last year I purchased a 'packable down jacket'. On real cold days it's necessary to layer under this type of jacket, so I got a large one which is easier to put on too. (My doctor actually suggested this and showed me her jacket after watching me struggle with my old one).
    This year I got REI down booties and wear them all day at home and when I go out, again a size larger as I wear thick socks under them. I have the ankle ones, but I believe they also come in a taller size.
    At night, I use small rice bags warmed in microwave and placed on my feet or legs.

Since "I", probably like many of us have very little to no peripheral feeling in my legs, I (duh) finally figured that if my feet and very lower legs get cold I don't feel it..Then finally my whole body becomes chilled and I am cold forever. So I bought some ankle high sheepskin lined slippers. I wear elastic knee high socks to decrease my legs from swelling so they help. But even here in Coastal South East NC it gets cold enough some days to chill me pretty good. And YES, often the air conditioning in summer, in some buildings will chill me as well.

The slippers or moccasins I wear are soft leather soled. I often do not use my foot rests in doors or in tight quarters, the leather bottoms slide on most floors, keeping me from running over my own feet. I have to have ankle high because if I use my crutches I can too easily slide out of conventional slippers. I do not feel this happen, the ankle high stays on almost 100% of the time.

I got a lap cover designed for wheelchair use and it has been working really well for me. There is a bit of a pocket on the bottom that covers the feet and helps keep it in place along with a really nice strap that goes around the back. it has a removable fleece liner it it that can velcro in and out for use in rain.

http://www.amazon.com/WeatherChaps-L...hair+lap+cover