Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are there any disabled living communities out there?

Quote Originally Posted by mthomson View Post
    Wow. What a nightmare.
    Yep, it took everything we had to move in here.

Stay tuned.

Do NOT even think about moving to Evergreen Grove in Otter Lake, Michigan

My wife and I stupidly moved into this place back in mid-August of last year. The owner of the place is also the "maintenance man" and he refuses to fix or even address the smallest of issues.

NOTE: The major ones like the water quality & floors sinking he ignores.

We thought that this place would be our final home. It is all on one floor with no stairs and a walk-in/wheel-in shower. There isn't a unit above us - and, for the most part it is quiet...unless you like hearing gun/rifle/shotgun blasts at all hours of the day and night.

However, during the entire move-in process we never dealt with the owner - we dealt with his daughter. She is considered to be the "Admissions Manager". So, we asked her all kinds of questions - just to make sure that we wouldn't have any surprises after we moved in. Without getting into all of the issues (and there are a lot of them) when we questioned her father about why his daughter was either intentionally misleading prospective tenants - or, simply not knowing what she was talking about...these were his exact words to my wife and I

"She doesn't know the day-to-day operations of this place."

WTF is that supposed to mean? Better yet, if she doesn't know the day-to-day operations of the place - why in the hell is she talking to anyone foolishly thinking about moving in here?

So, were we supposed to ask her (the Admissions Manager) if she knew the "day-to-day" operations of Evergreen Grove? Wouldn't one think that the Admissions Manager would have some clue about what the living conditions are, etc...? Was I supposed to ask to speak with her father on the off chance that she was either lying to us or not knowing what she was talking about?

In closing, there are only 5 or 6 other units that are occupied out of 12. My wife and I have gone around and gotten a chance to meet 4 of our other disabled neighbors. They all have one thing in common. They all told us to do whatever we could to NEVER have to call the owner/maintenance man about anything. Apparently, we're not the only tenants that he treats like dirt - he treats them the same way...or worse than he treats us. Maybe he gets off on talking to disabled people in such a manner?

Two of the more utterly idiotic things that ever escaped the lips from the owner of Evergreen Grove were when he said these things:

"We don't consider you to be tenants - we consider you to be our neighbors".

"I didn't get into this to be a landlord."

In closing, do NOT even consider moving into Evergreen Grove in Otter Lake, Michigan. We all know that there are terrible landlords out there. However, when you have one (landlord) for totally and disabled people - and that person/landlord seems to enjoy treating his tenants/neighbors like dirt....well, that's when people need to know about Evergreen Grove.

DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER MOVING IN THIS PLACE!!!!!