Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any disabled living communities out there?

Unfortunately, a lot of times there are legal challenges in developing something like this. For example, in CA, if there is a group home that provides personal care to more than 3 unrelated people, the law requires that there be a licensed nurse on the premises at all times. This created problems for several AIDS group homes in my area back in the 1990s and a number were shut down.

This program in California was actually initially "New Start Homes" (started in the 1980s) and had to get a special legislation passed from the state to create their program, which is really geared as a transition program from rehab center or nursing home to community living: http://www.freedomtolive.org/wp/

I have heard about this one in Vancouver, BC before. Perhaps some of our Canadian members know more about it: http://creekviewhousingco-op.com/

(KLD)

My thoughts exactly!!! Maybe work with a local city government and buy up an impoverished area, rehab all of the homes to accessible standards, and improve the whole area in the process?

Google images, shipping container homes. You will be amazed at how these steel structures are used. In Myrtle Beach, SC there is a neighborhood for Veterans with the housing made of shipping containers.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    What about areas of the country where there are more gimps in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarafino View Post
    What about areas of the country where there are more gimps in general?
    You're there! Colorado late in ski season fits that description.

Quote Originally Posted by wazabiker View Post
    Google images, shipping container homes. You will be amazed at how these steel structures are used. In Myrtle Beach, SC there is a neighborhood for Veterans with the housing made of shipping containers.
    That would be the way to go. I saw stacked containers made into apartments for college students somewhere in Texas. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by mthomson View Post
    My thoughts exactly!!! Maybe work with a local city government and buy up an impoverished area, rehab all of the homes to accessible standards, and improve the whole area in the process?
    Welcome to Detroit?
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Hello triumph,

My wife and I moved into Evergreen Grove in Otter Lake, Michigan in mid-August of 2015. Trust me when I say this - it's not all that it's cracked up to be. Pretty much everything that the owner and his daughter (who happens to be the "Admissions Manager") has turned out to be one lie after another. I wish we had NEVER moved into this place.

If you'd like to know all of the reasons why, I'll be glad to post each and every one of them here.

I'll check back later tonight or tomorrow and see if you - or anyone else - responds.

Peace,
    Mizerman

Dear ancientgimp,

We made the mistake of moving in Evergreen Grove back in August of last year. Basically, everything that the owner and his daughter told my wife and I was one big lie after another. They are both fabulous at giving excuses about everything.

The owner is also the maintenance person and - according to him - none of our concerns are problems for him.

His daughter was the person that we dealt with for several weeks before moving up here. We asked her NUMEROUS questions. She is the "Admissions Manager" and it has become glaringly apparent that she doesn't know anything about the day-to-day operations of this place. Also, according to the owner - her daddy - this isn't a problem either.

I guess there is a reason that the place is empty and nobody has moved in here. They had their "Open House" in late June 2015 and we're the only suckers that have moved in here. There is always a problem with the water. The floor in our second bedroom is sinking and it's a tripping hazard - but - as usual - this isn't a problem for the owner.

Then, the other kicker is that his divorced son lives on the other side of the wall from us. Before we moved in, the owner and the daughter said that he would only be here every other weekend with his three kids. Well, they're here every day in some shape or form...banging on the walls.

This is also not a problem for the owner.

Stay tuned. We aren't paying rent this month - our attorney advised us to send him, his wife, his daughter, and his son certified letters demanding that he fix the problems in our unit. If they refuse to sign for them, he said he'll use his process server to deliver the letters to them. He finds it unconscionable at the way they treat disabled people.

Maybe there's a reason that more than half of the place is vacant?

Wow. What a nightmare.