Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any disabled living communities out there?

Are there any disabled living communities out there?

I have an idea of a group of single family homes, for primarily disabled residents. The group could share he cost of care givers, group buying power together for things like lawncare, laundry, housekeping, etc. I'm thinking of folks who already live basically independent lives but still need services like attendant care in the am and pm. I have a lot of ideas about this, but don't want to reinvent the wheel if something like this already exists.

Yes, such places do exist. What country/state are you in? (a complete profile makes responding to questions much easier).

(KLD)

There area few apartment buildings in London (Ontario, Canada) like this .. they were around when I was first paralyzed in 1985.

Also a community in Michigan though where exactly escapes me at the moment. They do exist.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I believe one place is Otter Lake, Michigan. I toured several one story apartments in a lovely country setting. Inside was barrier-free design, except kitchen, as attendant care was expected for meal prep and personal care. About a block away, the builder had set up an accessible dock and pontoon boat.
    Wondering if one issue would be finding residents, as they would probably be relocating to live there - in such a rural setting don't think you'd find enough persons with a significant disability requiring attendant care.
    Perhaps this idea would be more attractive to those who want to be close to accessible transportation, subway systems, etc. - a city or town with access to many amenities.
    I once visited a similar place in Sweden. I felt it was too large, felt somewhat isolated from the outside community. Don't forget the concept of mainstreaming would apply here too.

The name of the community in Otter Lake Mi is Evergreen Grove. We toured there maybe 5 years ago. As Triumph said, kitchens are not too accessible as homes are largely designed for individuals using personal care help. I do believe there is some pca sharing. The homes are arranged in a horse shoe shaped area outside a tiny Michigan town with a nice lake where the developer keeps a pontoon boat for use of residents and the area's disabled community. The developer is quite a character - his best friend had MS and community was started as a place for him, but he passed away. There is a nice community fire pit and not far from the housing is a paved rails to trails bike/walk trail which I think is maybe 14 miles long. There is a website you can check out.

Out of curiosity...any idea what the HOA fees might be on such an operation?

I am in southern Indiana, but have a strong desire to move south, it's 5 degrees here right now. I'm 52 and when my father passes, which hopefully won't be anytime soon, I'll have no reason to endure weather like this again.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Out of curiosity...any idea what the HOA fees might be on such an operation?
    Unfortunately not, I had the impression it might be pricey. We didn't get into details because we only live 20 miles away and at this point would not consider giving up a completely accessible kitchen.

Anyone aware of any such low-cost community in PA, especially in-and-around Philadelphia. Thanks.

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    I often have fantasies of such a place. The relief to be able to socialize with other disabled people would be amazing, and that is just one aspect. It ought to be in FL or someplace warm, though! You would think a group of disabled people could take over a condo development or neighborhood just to make this happen