Thread: Prunes - Help With Constipation

Prunes - Help With Constipation

Hello everyone ! I'm currently dealing with constipation and I'm looking for something other than Miralax (what my GI Doctor wanted me to use) to try. I've been fighting constipation for the past week and a half. Are prunes a safe option to go with ? Like baby food prunes, prune juice and jarred prunes. Does anyone have any experience with this ? How much should you eat/drink ? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance !

H Colin,

Sorry to hear the trouble you are having.

Prunes wont hurt. I eat two each night before my M/W/F am bp... But that's just to help. I'm not constipated or vice versa.

All Bran buds (Psylium fiber) and LOTS of water helps.

Perhaps a stool softener (or increase in) to get you past this rough patch....

Good luck. Fun and games, eh?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I drink a can of 5.5 floz 163ml prune juice every day with Psylium fiber. Seems to help.
    I try and eat prunes, but keep forgetting !!

steel cut oatmeal for breakfast

lentils-excellent fiber content

benefiber soluble fiber in AM

gummie fiber drops-25% of recommended daily fiber amt

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I don't know how it is for others.. but Oatmeal, seems to leave me really bloated, and I can't shift the gas, it becomes crazy uncomfortable. Just bought some gripe water... what babies use for shifting gas ??? figure be worth a try.

For immediate relief prunes might work for some, did not work for me. High fiber plus water is the key at least for me, steamed vegetables, fresh salads and fruits good for the body, easy on the stomach and all moves the bowels. Also consuming ground flax seeds on daily basis works for me.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

I started consuming either lentils, red beans, and black-eyed peas on a regular basis for an additional source of fiber and it has made a significant difference in my bowel routine. They really pack a punch in terms of their grams of fiber as I was slightly low in my daily fiber total content and this brought me up to the recommended daily amount for someone with bowel issues.

I eat 7-8 prunes with breakfast daily. I do my bp daily (6:30 AM) as well.

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    Prunes are good for getting a bowel movement when you need one. I like prunes, but not daily. I eat them maybe once a week, if I feel the need. They do taste good with some cottage cheese and pecans, but the cheese and nuts would tend to counteract the laxative property of the prunes. I keep prune juice in the fridge. I think the juice works faster. One glass is enough.
    Female, T9 incomplete

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    I've found another good source of fiber. Mango peel! I made homemade pineapple preserves and, instead of adding pectin, I put finely chopped mango peel. I'd been eating a lot of mangoes, so I had fresh peel. The pineapple-mango peel preserves were spectacularly delicious. I also used organic sugar. So, even though this isn't something that you would take regularly as a laxative, it does give you good fiber. And, any fiber that we can eat as a delicious food is an improvement over a fiber deficient diet...and some of the other not-so-tasty fiber drinks.

Here's an article that includes information on eating mango peel. See under heading 3 Mango Fruit Peels. https://www.researchgate.net/profile...s-A-review.pdf
    Female, T9 incomplete