Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Will Be Cured by Stem Cells First - Spinal Cord or Brain ?

Which Will Be Cured by Stem Cells First - Spinal Cord or Brain ?

Hi Everyone,

Which do you think will be cured first with stem cells - the spinal cord or brain ?

From what I have learned it seems to me that a spinal cord injury would be easier to cure with stem cells because the brain is much more complex than the spinal cord it seems this would be more difficult. Of course there is a larger variety of diseases that effect the brain vs the spinal cord (larges hazard seems to be spinal cord injury resulting in varying degrees of paralysis.)

What do you all think based on what you know ?

Looking forwards to your opinions

-Sog
    Last edited by Sog; 01-07-2016 at 03:39 PM.

My answer is not worth much but if you're simply referring to traumatic brain injury, and not various other brain disorders iam still going to say spinal cord injury! And neither will ever be cured only treated and I highly doubt stem cells will be a magic bullet it'll be a combination therapy ...

Cured? None of them. Repaired to recover some function? I think spinal cord. Brain is a lot more complex.
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

I agree that the spinal cord would be the easiest to cure. With the brain there are so many variables that you may cure it and never fully realize it has been cured.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

I am a C3 quad complete. I've been waiting 19 years, so don't plan on it happening any time soon. Just continue on with your life and enjoy it. I checked back in here. Maybe once every three months, just to see what's happening. Still have the dream of being able-bodied, but in the back of my mind, it probably won't happen in my lifetime, and I just turned 49…
    keiffer66

Neither while anyone reading this is still alive.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Neither while anyone reading this is still alive.
    True....Get on with life and do the best you can.

Yes but neuroprosthetics are possible in my lifetime. They will be able to restore more function and sensation and feel more pr-injury-like than any regenerative stem cell treatment.

Agree highly with the last post.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Wow - thanks for all your answers.
    I also think the Spinal cord will be easier to fix (and sooner) than the brain.

When will the puzzle to fixing spinal cord injury be? Maybe 20 years? And why would stem cells alone not be the answer?

Thanks for all your input!