Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bladder spasms

I was given 10mg of Vesicare, and started back on Flomax 4mg to see if it might help, yes for sure on dry mouth, but also I woke up one morning and itched all over, so I stopped both and see what's going on , the itching stopped so one of them is causing the itch. Love you profile pic!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnsgarden View Post
    I was given 10mg of Vesicare, and started back on Flomax 4mg to see if it might help, yes for sure on dry mouth, but also I woke up one morning and itched all over, so I stopped both and see what's going on , the itching stopped so one of them is causing the itch. Love you profile pic!
    Sorry to hear about the itching. That can drive you nuts by itself.

As for pic, thanks! Kids and puppies are THE best medicine. Well...maybe not for spasms ;-)
    Jason

C5/6 Complete - water skiing accident 1994.

Well, it wasn't the Vesicare or Flomax, causing the itch, so back on both.

Quote Originally Posted by jeft View Post
    I currently take 20mg/day of Oxybutynin. I'm having a lot of bladder spasms that may be contributing to pain. Are others on a higher dose? Or, are there other meds that may work better?

Thanks for any guidance
    I can relate with this topic because recently I tried upping my Oxybut dose from 30mg to 50mg a day. That helped bladder spasms but dried my mouth and put my GI tract to sleep which increased size of megacolon which pushed on bladder which makes me leak at night so that was a no on 50mg of oxy a day. Back at 30mg a day and doing ok sleeping light as I self cath and can feel bladder spasm but will probably start leaking again after UTI builds up in bladder. Looking into Vesicare and Toviaz, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaDutchman View Post
    I started going through the same issue a couple of months ago. I was on 15 mg oxybutin a day, but it was extended release. I met with my urologist and he ruled out pretty much of the common sources for the spasms. He then had me double the dose so that I was taking one 15 mg tablet in the morning and another one in the evening. That has stopped the spasms, but the dry mouth is killing me. For now I'll reduce the overall dosage by taking one 10 mg tablet twice a day. I'll be on the this dosage until I can get back in for Botox shots inside the bladder. My urologist said that he has had success with Botox injections inside the bladder. I should be schedule for the shots any day now. I can keep you updated if you're interested.
    Any luck with the Botox? Or, has anyone else tried it? I'm suppose to see the doc at the end of the month. Will be asking him as well
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by backwoodsrider View Post
    I can relate with this topic because recently I tried upping my Oxybut dose from 30mg to 50mg a day. That helped bladder spasms but dried my mouth and put my GI tract to sleep which increased size of megacolon which pushed on bladder which makes me leak at night so that was a no on 50mg of oxy a day. Back at 30mg a day and doing ok sleeping light as I self cath and can feel bladder spasm but will probably start leaking again after UTI builds up in bladder. Looking into Vesicare and Toviaz, thanks
    I suppose we should expect side effects but that sounds a bit extreme ;-). Hope you have better luck with other meds.
    Jason

Unfortunately many of these medications have these two side effects. They basically dry you out some. Some medications are worse than others for different people. If the side effect is mild, I recommend using the mouthwash biotene, or something similar. Many of the mouthwash companies make a similar product. However, if they don't relieve the symptoms, then you need to let your physician know.

Hope you have luck with one of the medications.

ckf