Thread: Bladder Augmentation Surgery

Bladder Augmentation Surgery

Are there any guys who have had this done and what results have you had with it? And did you have the stoma created so that you can cath through your belly button?

I had a spastic bladder before I got my SP tube. Does this procedure get rid of the spasms and allow you to not void in between caths?

How does this surgery affect your bowel program?

Are you happy with it? Is anyone on meds afterwards?

There is a large amount of information on this website on the subject. Just use the search function.

I have mine 14 years ago. I have the stoma located within my umbilicus. I was a spontaneous voider before and I did retain substantial bladder spasticity afterwards to this day. If I hit say, 450 or above, I may start to actually spurt urine out the stoma. I have had to have bladder Botox once per year. My surgeon was surprised at how much spasticity my bladder retained. Generally however, I can hold 400 quietly. I can tell when my bladder is about to void, due to the autonomic symptoms, and if I get to the bathroom with enough I can cath without wetting myself. That's okay for when you are home, but you will definitely have to manage your fluids if you work or plan on being out all day regularly. I cath right at bedtime and then I have to cath midway through the night, which could be problematic if you live by yourself you and cannot manage your bed mobility with all the crap you need to keep nearby to cath.

My bowel function has been okay. However, I had two hospitalizations for a small bowel obstruction deep in my pelvis that my surgeon said was choked off with adhesions that were without doubt result of the extensive pelvic surgery needed for the reconstruction. To my knowledge, you just don't get adhesions without your pelvis not being opened. The second hospitalization required open surgery to correct the situation. I would speak to you surgeon to mention how important it is to minimize the possibility of adhesions and I believe they now have some type of gel sheeting that they wraparound the loops of bowel in the area of surgery to prevent them from scarring and adhering together.

Postsurgical hospitalization won't be easy and you should plan on being in the house for at least two weeks afterwards. You'll need to be extremely careful with your transfers and if possible, you may want to use a mechanical lifter for this time. You'll need to be very careful with horsing your body around because you will have a large lower abdominal incision and do not want to blow it open.

It is infinitely better than having an indwelling catheter, though some would say otherwise. However, it is not nirvana nor without its limitations and requirements for ongoing care.

Thanks for the info. I searched but couldn't find much from guys who have had this done.

Are there any guys who have had this done and what results have you had with it? And did you have the stoma created so that you can cath through your belly button?

I had the Augmentation in 2009. My bladder was retaining around 800ml back then, and I had pain issues sweats and the condom cath method was no longer viable. My pressure were dangerously high and my bladder wall was thick. After a lot of soul searching I turned down the sphincterotomy and stent options, as I was tired of having leaks and condom cath slippling off all the time + bad skin issues. My Urologist said that the Aug. was a good option for me, so I just put myself in her and fate's hands and went for it.

I cath through the urethra.

I had a spastic bladder before I got my SP tube. Does this procedure get rid of the spasms and allow you to not void in between caths?

I NEVER void in between caths, I think my prostrate/worn out sphincter have something to do with that. Although I try to avoid large volumes I can hold 600-800 ml. comfortable before cathing.

How does this surgery affect your bowel program?

A full on nightmare for the first 3 months with multiple daily accidents, it's a tough road. Didn't truly get better for a good 18 months.
    7 years on it's ok, but I do have more accidents than I did pre-op. It depends on what and how much I eat, but maybe this has something to do with getting older with sci?

Are you happy with it? Is anyone on meds afterwards?

Comparing the dire straits I was in at the time to now, I'm better off. I have had a bad run of UTI's recently, alcohol definatley irritates my bladder, and creates a lot of mucous so I am trying to give up. (I had some whiskey + honey and hot water for a cold last night,and of course had more than I should have, so I had to cath x3 this morning to get the mucous out!)

I went a 18 months without alcohol a while back and hardly had any UTI problems.

Long term I don't know how long the Augmentation will last without problems/complications. I had my first cystoscopy in November and had a bio-opsy on something they saw. Apparently they don't want to see me for another year, so I'll live with that!

I hope that the Lab grown bladders/tissue will help us soon, I'm allways looking out for that, because I wouldn't want to go through the surgery again.

Hope this helps you!
    Last edited by brython2; 01-07-2016 at 09:44 AM. Reason: because

Asked how many augmentations your physician has done and does. Asked if is patient population comprised of SCI/neurogenic bladders or other. Many people who have had bladder cancer often need this type of reconstructive pouch surgery after bladder removal and if you can get an SCI specific urologist to do it you may need to use a urologist with these types of experiences.

I went for convenience, in a hospital closer to home or I knew my family would be available, rather than one that was further, but where the surgeon may have had more SCI specific augmentation experience. Surgeons are loathe to give you patient recommendations, like a home contractor who has done has to work for somebody, so they can share their experience after the surgery. I don't know why this is done, most probably because of patient confidentiality. But I always thought that if the office contacted the past patient first and asked if they minded sharing their experience with a prospective surgical patient than that issue is taken off the table. This would be an excellent way to get the lowdown on the surgeon.