Thread: bone spur fusion surgery

Unhappy bone spur fusion surgery

To want to know
    How long is the best quit cigarettes before surgery ?
    One half week or two week
    I'm diabetic for over 30 years same as cigarettes
    I fall backward and hit kitchen tablet, chair, cement floor
    Last 2003
    My right shoulder blade and front shoulder is different shape than
    My left shoulder blade and front shoulder
    I have constatly pain 24/7 headaches, numbness, stiff
    My doctor finally found MRI and said that right side buldge
    She refered me to the Nerosurgery
    Dr-he told me that I had bone spur my neck C5 6 and C 7 8 between there
    What does it look like When Doctor do the surgery on me ?
    Can you tell me more information now before the surgery ?

I just had surgery mid-December to fuse C4 and C5 because I had a herniated disc between those 2 vertebrae. The herniated disc was pressing on a nerve that was causing me pain in my right shoulder blade area. This pain has been present since the time of my car accident and more than likely happened as a result of the accident. At the time of my accident I had C5 and C6 fused, but apparently I was fused all the way down to T1. As a result of the initial accident I had 2 titanium rods and some plates installed to stabilize my neck.

To fuse my C4 and C5 they came in through the front of my throat, actually to the ride side of my throat. They made the incision in one of my natural fold lines of my neck skin. I'm far from overweight nor do I have multiple chins. It was one of my natural crease lines. The incision from my first surgery, 8 yrs. ago is no longer visible so with time the scar fades away. Because of the metal present in my neck from the first surgery they had to make like a little cage to act like a spacer between the 2 vertebrae. They the put 2 screws in, at angle, one in C4 and the other in C5.

I just went for my first post-op consult today and I was informed that I could not go to physical therapy for 6 weeks. At that time I would go to my second post-op consult and depending on how everything looks I might get to do minor exercises in PT. Ideally my surgeon would like me to wait 4 to 6 months before I even go to physical therapy. They really want to make sure the fusion is taking place.

If the fusion is not taking place then they try again. Items that can delay or prohibit fusion include the use of NSAIDs (ibuprofen, etc.), smoking, just to name a few, well, the 2 that I remember. I'm not a smoker, so that won't affect me.

Hope that helps.

DaDutchman
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident