Thread: Does the FES bike burn calories?

Does the FES bike burn calories?

Does the bike burn calories if you are not doing any other exercise while on the bike?

At the end of the session it gives the kCal count but honestly I just don't care for that measurement. Mainly because I don't understand it and don't feel like learning something new 😝

It all depends on how much of your muscles are doing the actual work. I ride the FES bike. I am a quadriplegic. When I'm doing very well I will actually only be between 20 and 30 cal For about one hour. When the electrodes and the bike I actually moving for you you burn little to no calories. That does not mean that you're not getting tremendous benefits.

I'm sure that I was told to multiply by 20 to get actual calories used. I average about 6.5kcal/hr on a typical 1.98/38 rpm ride, what settings do you use to do 20-30 kcal in an hour

mrb, I presume you're using an RT300? The RT300's calorie estimator is extremely inaccurate, unless you're pedaling really hard. From what I've seen, on average, it'll tell you that you're burning about 2 kCal per hour (kCals are just normal Calories, FYI). For comparison, the average person burns ~62-69 calories per hour at rest, doing nothing. Our FES bike gives a much more accurate estimate.

That being said, you are burning calories when you use an FES bike, and you'll burn more the more your muscles are contracting from the stimulation, like dannymarg said (a year ago).

I'm curious as to where the "multiply by 20" recommendation came from.

I thought that the clinician at the RT place my RT300 came from told me but can't find it in an email, maybe me dreaming that I can use it in my daily fod cal count I usually get a reading of about 6.5 kcal/ph and tend to focus on power output to improve so alter resistance and RPM to try and keep moving forward but am now seeing periods where I regress.

As long as you're pushing yourself, eating well, and getting enough rest, you should be making progress, assuming your health is stable. If any of those three areas are lacking though, or if you have some other health issue, you can stall or regress. However, I have seen instances where the machine itself degrades, causing it to report numbers that are off. If everything else is on point, maybe your RT300 needs re-calibrating or servicing.

It is definitely me as I can have a regression then come back to same level then regress again. I know from my previous years of cycling that you can't aways progress, you'll reach points where you can't get past so I just accept that I am at one of those points when it happens. Drop down a level or 2 then work back. My lungs are screwed and being vented my sats vary a lot which is bound to affect performance on the bike. At my best they are 98/99 right now 91-94 so my bike output drops. Hook my oxygen machine up, 5 L/min and I can easily get better numbers

mrb, that's really interesting. For me that's a reminder of how much of a machine the human body really is. Like a car engine -- using a turbocharger to force more oxygen into it gets you more horsepower. Same deal with you and your oxygen machine. It's like your own personal turbocharger

Quote Originally Posted by Steaksauce View Post
    Does the bike burn calories if you are not doing any other exercise while on the bike?

At the end of the session it gives the kCal count but honestly I just don't care for that measurement. Mainly because I don't understand it and don't feel like learning something new 
    Everything burns calories, you burn calories while you sleep
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bellman View Post
    mrb, that's really interesting. For me that's a reminder of how much of a machine the human body really is. Like a car engine -- using a turbocharger to force more oxygen into it gets you more horsepower. Same deal with you and your oxygen machine. It's like your own personal turbocharger
    Closer to EPO or any other banned drug including blood doping, at least I don't need a TUE.