Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much Vitamin C for UTI prevention

I've read several articles on vitamin c. Seems that very high doses are needed to improve ph level in the bladder. However, I've taken 4,000 mg/day for at lease 1 year with no noticeable improvement. There are also potential side effects

I've been using HydroCleanse based on information below with fantastic results. I would highly recommend checking it out.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...cyn-Technology

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...pra-pubic-cath

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...light=microcyn

UTI's are a pain for most of us. Wish you the best of luck!
    Jason

C5/6 Complete - water skiing accident 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    I went through a few years of recurring uti's about seven years ago. My urologist recommended doing instillation/ irrigation. It has literally changed my life. I was starting to think the uti's and complications from antibiotic over use was going to be final chapters of SCI life after then 30 plus years. I have been doing instillation for seven years and it has made enormous difference with incidence of uti's and foremost quality of life. It's work but well worth it IMHO.

Bob Vogel at New Mobility magazine has written a couple articles about instillation over the years and below is his latest one from December 15'. I use the Neosporin irrigant discussed.

Good luck to you Patrick.
    http://www.newmobility.com/2015/12/b...ant-solutions/
    ChesBay, thanks for sharing. Could you provide more details about the instillation protocol you use? Dose, frequency, technique.
    thanks in advance. )

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    I went through a few years of recurring uti's about seven years ago. My urologist recommended doing instillation/ irrigation. It has literally changed my life. I was starting to think the uti's and complications from antibiotic over use was going to be final chapters of SCI life after then 30 plus years. I have been doing instillation for seven years and it has made enormous difference with incidence of uti's and foremost quality of life. It's work but well worth it IMHO.
    ChesBay, thank you for sharing.
    could you provide more details about the protocol of the instillations you use - dose, frequency, technique.
    Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by borber View Post
    ChesBay, thank you for sharing.
    could you provide more details about the protocol of the instillations you use - dose, frequency, technique.
    Thank you in advance.
    Sending you a PM shortly borber describing , technique , cost, etc.
    ches

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    I didn't realize you have been doing instillations of Neosporin for 7 years. How often do you do them?

My dad has been doing instillations of Gentamicin for the past 9 months - twice a day - with the possibility of decreasing frequency at the 1 year mark.
    hlh,

I was having a lot of infections when I started so I began doing the irrigation / instillation and have stuck with it every night for years. I make it my last cath of the night and cath out first thing in the morning.

I wear a 32 oz. Bard leg bag in bed at night so there is no worry about accident and my bladder still kicks off pretty good at about 300cc's.

Shoot me a pm if you have any questions.

Hope your Dad is finding some relief.
    ches

Hi Patrick,
    Good to see you on here. When David left Shock Trauma after his accident, the doctor told him to take Vitamin C daily. He takes 1000 mg every day. He also takes cranberry pills and it all seems to help. He got a supra pubic a few months ago and that seems to be working out well as far as uti's too. He has been uti free for over a year now which is unheard of for David. The last one put him in icu for 12 days. He had been intermittent cathing but for him it was not working well. The SP has helped so much. At any rate, it is possible to take too much Vitamin C so Dave takes the 1000 mg plus what he gets in food and his multi vitamin.
    Take care.
    DavesMom, Diane

so good to hear his regimen of UTI prevention is working out well.

pbr

Hello All, A brief update. After reading your wonderful suggestions and advice, I started taking Vit.C and continuing with the Methenamine. I started off with 4000 C a day to get the ph level more acidic with Methenamine 2x's a day. Seems to have cleared everything up quite nicely so have reduced to 3000 a day for now and will eventually go to 2000 unless things go cloudy again.I'm glad I don't have to go with the instillation but relieved to know it's there down the road if necessary.

Diane it is so good to hear Dave is doing better after so many years of turmoil with his SCI. Thanks for your good advice.