Thread: rollercoaster

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm late to the thread, but it's about time that many parks are opening up and hopefully relevant. The big catch-all is nearly all rides are restricted when there is "back trouble". I've asked what this means before and there is no specific standard, so I ride since doc says it's okay. I have left SI injury, so my experience varies from most.

A lot of ride requirements, as published by the manufacturer, have combinations of functioning limbs, sometimes one or both arm(s) for bracing, sometimes any two limbs, etc. I've seen arms fly, hitting others, etc. when not followed (and even sometimes from anyone). Heed these warnings, especially if a functioning leg is required! The lapbar only comment is completely valid and I've felt that I have nearly been thrown to certain death, especially from older woodies. If not for good right leg strength playing a major factor in holding me in, I would have fallen out. Such rides also tend to have the lowest seating, so are not my favorites anyway. The newer rides, however, are typically harnessed so you merely need to have a certain number of limbs at least to the knee or elbow to prevent slipping out, regardless of function.

Every park I've been to in the past few years has a guide with a grid of these various things, both online and printed. I'm excluded by their rules on only a few, but need to self-limit when sideways G forces are strong. I don't think these guides are unnecessarily cautious.

Cedar Fair parks are the most familiar to me, and guest services near the entrance to each will give you a personalized list along with their boarding pass which provides that you can wait outside of line for rides that do not have mainstreamed entrances (so most). [I must confess it is nice being able to take in a show or eat while "in line".] The big catch is no park I know of will provide assistance in transferring, but will allow anyone with you into "employee" areas when needed to assist.
    Last edited by MicheleAdams; 04-08-2016 at 03:17 PM.