Thread: Detachable Handcycle - Uphill Battle?

Detachable Handcycle - Uphill Battle?

Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend is in the market for a handcycle that can be attached directly to his normal wheelchair. He'd like to use this detachable handcycle as a means of everyday transportation, not just for exercise. He has found a few that he's tried and likes, but the problem is that the commute that he'd normally do involves a fairly substantial hill. Because detachable handcycles are powered from the front wheel, the second they hit anything more than a small incline, they progressively lose more and more power (because the slant pulls the weight off of the front wheel powering the whole thing) and eventually becomes unworkable.

The people selling the handbike advise slaloming up the hill from side to side, but this really isn't possible given the road layout.

Does anyone know of any other handbikes that use a different system that might make this workable?

Not that attach to the chair... Has he tried the one from RIO mobility, the Dragon fly? just looking at it it seems to have the wheel closest to the chair and would seem to work the best of what I have seen plus you could lean forward in the chair to try and put some more weight on the front wheel. Do not know what the possibilities are but you can find a used up right hand cycle like the Top end excelerator or Quickie Mach II for a thousand and under and if he had a spare chair at work maybe he could go that route. You can easily fashion a basket type under carriage on them and carry some stuff. I take mine in stores all the time and I rarely drive my van as I would much rather cycle.

I've seen other people overcome this issue with the manual ones by attaching small weights to the front forks of the handcycle. Whilst it makes it heavier, it seems to give it enough traction on small hills. When it comes to rain, I'm not sure on how much luck he'll have.

Another option would be to install a basket over the forks of the handcycle and put bags or whatever he is using in it for the day?

Not the best options but still a start

Does his chair have bolt on Axis plates perchance?

If so, you could get a set machined with an extension and have 2 slots. 1 for pushing 1 for handcycling. I had a friend make some for my Quickie. Google quickie amputee axle plate to get an idea. Good luck!

Chasminr added an extra rear axle to his chair. He can move the rear wheels back to put more weight on the front for biking.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    !!!!!!

original poster was last active 05-26-2010 05:07

The whole issue with that attachable bikes....

Just go with a max mobility smart drive... just fine up hills, center of gravity and weight is all working in your favor, as apposed to against you.