Thread: ADA and cruises...

ADA and cruises...

We are a family of 4 looking at a cruise. The cruise line has a 4 person room at $x but no accessible room at that price. The only accessible 4 person rooms are $2x. Are they allowed to charge the higher price?
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

They are not required to have an accessible cabin in all cabin categories. They cannot charge more for an accessible cabin in the same category with a comparable non-accessible cabin. Many cruise lines only offer accessible cabins in only one or two categories. For example, Crystal cruises offers only 4 on their ocean-going ships: 2 are penthouse suites ($$$$$) and 2 are mid-range price ($$$) outside cabins. Accessible cabins that sleep 4 (or even 3) are extremely rare. Most people find they have to book at least 12 months ahead to secure an accessible cabin at all. What cruise line and destination and dates are you trying to secure?

(KLD)

We already have it booked. An Alaska cruise on Holland America in zJune. It's a Christmas present family cruise, 20 of us, with 4 in ea room. I just found out tonight our accessible room was about dbl the price of the rest. It just six we are charged dbl because of the chair.

You were not charged extra for the chair. You are booked in a more expensive category of cabin than those you are comparing your rate with. There are wheelchair accessible cabins on most HAL cruise ships in the lower price categories, but they book up very fast, and I don't know of any that of those that will sleep 4. Most likely your need to have sleeping for 4 forced them to book you in a more expensive category which still had accessible cabins available.

On Holland America there are some cabins that are handicapped "modified" and others that are fully wheelchair accessible. Be sure you are booked into one of the latter. For example, the former may have a bathtub instead of a roll-in shower, and the cabin will not be as spacious (making it hard to get around the cabin in a wheelchair).

(KLD)

Thanks for the info KLD. I believe we do have the latter type of room. I've seen a video walkaround and the cabin looks huge. I'll have to check if they do have 4 person accessible cabin on the lower decks.
    Thanks again.