Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The right to die--ethical dilemmas in persons with spinal cord injury. SCI Nurse?

Doesn't it have to be a terminal illness and SCI won't qualify as that? If not I'll be moving to Canada, a few months exploring the west coast then press the exit button

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    Doesn't it have to be a terminal illness and SCI won't qualify as that? If not I'll be moving to Canada, a few months exploring the west coast then press the exit button

Eligibility

Under the proposed legislation, medical assistance in dying would be available to a person who meets all of the following criteria:

Grievous and irremediable medical conditionA grievous and irremediable medical condition is defined in the Bill as having all of the following characteristics:

• A serious and incurable illness, disease or disability;
    • The person is in an advanced state of irreversible decline in capability;
    • The illness, disease, or disability or state of decline causes the person enduring physical or psychological suffering that is intolerable to them and that cannot be relieved in a manner that the person considers acceptable to them; and
    • The person?s natural death has become reasonably foreseeable due to all of their medical circumstances, without requiring that a prognosis has been made as to the length of time that they have remaining.

High quadriplegia more than qualifies!! I don't know about you but I don't consider being fingered up the ass, pissing through a tube, being carried and cleaned by someone else is acceptable, right!? That's the only way to relieve it, if they don't imagine how quickly a high complete quadriplegic would die, faster than most cancers that's for sure, especially with a very high-pressure neurogenic bladder! Despite many of the disabled supposed "activists" efforts! They really grinds my gears they're more worried about, their own coping mechanisms, and how people reinforce their coping or lack there of, then MANY other disabled people who feel much differently than them have an actual fucking choice. Here's the thing whether it's legal or not they're going to be plenty of people that would rather be dead than be like us the first time they look at us,there will always be people that look down on the disabled! You're delusional if you don't realize that. If you want to live like this you have to accept that and not be bothered by what other people think,ever noticed how much you get stared at now! There are various different reasons that happens! If it's legal, not much is going to change people are still going to encourage you, few other people are going to look down on you,it will be impossible for you to be forced into the situation,you have to make that choice; the only differences now the people who feel that this life isn't worth living, the dependency isnt justifiablenow have a choice! Rather than those lil activist get their own way and the poor bastard definitely have to brought in their own mind riddled with misery, agony,in dignity, disgust etc just so these "disabled activist" *cough* can feel battle was won in their pretentious little battle of "my life matters". Yeah it does, so does everyone else is, everyone deserves a choice whether it bumps into your coping or not...
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 04-18-2016 at 07:37 PM.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...nada-1.3535584

Yet another unfortunate soul, dependent;that had to resort to starvation! Luckily after a very long time, they finally decided to help better late than never I guess! Really don't think this kind of situation happens often, but it happens more than you think. Every article I read about the elderly and/ or people with MS, ALS, Alzheimer's etc. They all say, I'm managing my life pretty well right now, but when I am unable to take care of myself that's when they draw the line,or at least they hope will be able to! Thing is a lot of high spinal cord injuries at any age, don't get the opportunity to take care of themselves at all! A lot of people are disappointed with the restrictions on this newly made legislation.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 04-18-2016 at 09:23 PM.

That is a lot closer to the Swiss requirements and way better for high level quads. I believe the Oregon legislation and the failed proposal in the UK require a terminal illness which doesn't help us. Couldn't agree more about the inhumanity of living like this, even the constant handling gets to me never mind bowels or lack of privacy, I've gone from someone who chose when I interacted with others to having someone in my face or worse 24/7.Only options I have are stop food, stop water or choke to death refusing medical intervention, not a very pleasant way to exit for me or my family to watch! I asked for my vent to be switched off in hospital but was refused as one of the psychiatrists felt I hadn't had enough time to adapt! I asked her to spend 3 days in a straight jacket lying in bed next to me pissing and shitting then being cleaned up, she didn't take me up on the offer. Ffs if you can't endure 3 days imagine how it feels knowing the rest of your life is like that. My biggest gripe isn't the medical profession it's the religious fools who prevent legislation being past. Living a life believing a hundreds year old fairy story is bad enough, preventing others suffering an intolerable life is crazy.

That is a lot closer to the Swiss requirements and way better for high level quads. I believe the Oregon legislation and the failed proposal in the UK require a terminal illness which doesn't help us. Couldn't agree more about the inhumanity of living like this, even the constant handling gets to me never mind bowels or lack of privacy, I've gone from someone who chose when I interacted with others to having someone in my face or worse 24/7.Only options I have are stop food, stop water or choke to death refusing medical intervention, not a very pleasant way to exit for me or my family to watch! I asked for my vent to be switched off in hospital but was refused as one of the psychiatrists felt I hadn't had enough time to adapt! I asked her to spend 3 days in a straight jacket lying in bed next to me pissing and shitting then being cleaned up, she didn't take me up on the offer. Ffs if you can't endure 3 days imagine how it feels knowing the rest of your life is like that. My biggest gripe isn't the medical profession it's the religious fools who prevent legislation being past. Living a life believing a hundreds year old fairy story is bad enough, preventing others suffering an intolerable life is crazy.
    I agree with everything you said, quadriplegics can get it for sure in Switzerland but they need to be able to administer it themself...I think in the case of Canada you would have to make an argument,but it definitely could be eligible. One of the main Parliament members that push for it to be decriminalized was a high quad!

Having said all that, there is a lot going on right now for our injuries, the transcutaneous stimulator done on 25 quads all showed improvements especially in the upper extremities, I'm sure many of them became independent because of it...

Administer themselves is easy enough, suck it up or push a button to start IV. Button can be a bite switch so almost everyone can do it. I'm not a great believer in a cure, can't even get my lungs paced, I'd wait forever even if a cure did come, quite happy to exit now, I've had a good life, don't want to endure this shit for years ending it.

Who knew? Time to bring back the Kevorkian machine of death! He was decades ahead of himself!

http://putlocker.is/watch-you-dont-k...putlocker.html
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Well another day of being tired of having to depend on someone to do some thing for me and causing them grief at the same time. They say they want to help, but then get pissed when you call them on it. Oh so much joy to be in this position.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

Quote Originally Posted by DaDutchman View Post
    Well another day of being tired of having to depend on someone to do some thing for me and causing them grief at the same time. They say they want to help, but then get pissed when you call them on it. Oh so much joy to be in this position.
    I despise that, and it gets really taxing on you mentally to lower yourself to asking for help then have people constantly contradicting themselves out of frustration and annoyance. Rightfully so, but to be the person that's targeted is very taxing

Administer themselves is easy enough, suck it up or push a button to start IV. Button can be a bite switch so almost everyone can do it. I'm not a great believer in a cure, can't even get my lungs paced, I'd wait forever even if a cure did come, quite happy to exit now, I've had a good life, don't want to endure this shit for years ending it.
    People with lower level injuries have more options, if they reach a point where they've had enough.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.