Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The right to die--ethical dilemmas in persons with spinal cord injury. SCI Nurse?

Quote Originally Posted by DaDutchman View Post
    Definitely appreciate your thoughts on the various drugs you listed. I use a few of them myself and after 8 yrs. on being on some of them, the jury is still out as to if they are effective or not.

With respect to bladder spasms I had the same issue. I was up to 30 mg a day of Ditropan and that helped somewhat. Just over a month ago I had Botox injections into the bladder and then reduced my Ditropan usage by 15 mg a day. This has worked extremely well. Maybe even too well. I can and have gone 9 hrs. between caths and have an output of 1,000 ml. It will be at least another month before I see my urologist again, but I'd like to get off the Ditropan all together. The Ditropan causes excessive dry mouth and I end up sucking on cough drops or a sweetened candy piece at night so I can sleep half-way decent when I'm able to finally fall asleep.
    I am weary of Botox, the problem is I have an indwelling catheter and the pressure is still a problem. I don't do ics nonstop infections, had to keep a condom catheter on in between and I couldn't figure out how to do it myself with my bad arm so it was such a time-consuming little shit every four hours.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Love the one comment there - 'thanks again to our all-knowing government to allow to beg for the last dignity we should have' lol
    One thing I learned about modern medicine since my injury is they really don't care about dignity, not at all! All that matters is you keep breathing no matter what extremes,so they try to get you toperceive living no matter what the circumstances as resilience and strength. To hell with any kind of principles sometimes I find that logic disheartening, other times infuriating, but often comical

I have been waiting for this moment for so long, came close to doing it myself; asked to have it done basically the entire time I was in the hospital really just wanted nature to take it's course. After four years my mind is trying to forcibly adapt to my new limited life, i'll find contentment just sitting watching TV suddenly I don't have the strength or conviction of the first two years. but I have to Believe in myself enough that I still can commitif I fail and/or plans are finally put in place... Nonetheless to all the foolish people that say death is the easy way are very naive, and utterly mistaken;about something none of us fully understand,I imagine it's just to reinforce coping mechanisms
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 04-10-2016 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    I am weary of Botox, the problem is I have an indwelling catheter and the pressure is still a problem. I don't do ics nonstop infections, had to keep a condom catheter on in between and I couldn't figure out how to do it myself with my bad arm so it was such a time-consuming little shit every four hours.

Sounds like you may need to get with your urologist on this. I wouldn't think your bladder would be under pressure with an indwelling catheter unless the catheter is plugged. The indwelling catheter is somewhat open to the atmosphere so there should be essentially no back-pressure. Something doesn't sound right.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

Sounds like you may need to get with your urologist on this. I wouldn't think your bladder would be under pressure with an indwelling catheter unless the catheter is plugged. The indwelling catheter is somewhat open to the atmosphere so there should be essentially no back-pressure. Something doesn't sound right.
    Something doesn't sound right for sure because the bladder still continues to spasm,despite its shrinkage. Any blockage including a plug and I'll piss rapidly anywhere from 150 to 300 mL which almost always results in an infection. Not to mention I'm so badly colonized, from all the infections I got when I was trying to do ICs but the pressure was too much inside and outside was A problem because I had a condom catheterdespite doing and Ics every four hours

You can have a high pressure bladder with an indwelling catheter in place if your bladder has shrunk enough, and if you have significant bladder spasms. This can lead to AD and to risks for reflux of colonized urine up the ureters to the kidneys, increasing risks for damage to the kidneys, potential hydronephrosis, and infection of the kidneys. Botox is not often used for those with an indwelling catheter, but it can be, esp. if anticholenergic medications are not sufficient to lower the pressure and prevent AD and leakage.

(KLD)

Well f### , This is why I keep getting sick, and this is why it bothers me so much it takes at least three months to get an appointment with my urologist! And usually they failed to give me the full detail, just address one problem at a time. I truly hope my shrinkage is not that bad, can't fix that.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cj-jp/ad-am/legis.html

It is officially legal! After four years of this; I have many words for itbut for some simplicity and discretion i'll just call it "new life", I have become mentally stronger and weaker at the same time, in different ways. Physically doesn't need to be mentioned; self-explanatory. I had plenty of good times, and put in a lot of effort to make them good; I've also had the worst times imaginable. I have been forced and eventually succumb into such indignity that, I am quite simply embarrassed to live, knowing full well that almost nobody is judging me that way; other than myself ( at the end of the day that's all that matters tho) . I have had people call me strong, inspirational etc. friends, family, strangers, doctors, nurses etc. etc. but not for one second have I found nor felt a shred of nobility including strength (despite desperately wanting to feel differently, and put my mind and shame at ease).I have seen firsthand, not only for myself but modern medicine does not care about dignity nor take it into account in the slightest as long as they keep breathing! Now everyone will be able to make their individual decision, based on who they are and what they value! Nobody will be forced into something, unable to get out of it themselves, nobody will have to listen to supposed"Point of views" as if they are the Alpha and Omega, simply because fear is a great power, and there is no other choice no matter what the person may feel or value, physical limitations that leave a very limited parameter of life in comparison will no longer take someone's individuality simply because this is what the majority do, a blatant generalization filled with contradictions and frankly often delusion! thank God that is over, at least for my country! All at the same time, when a treatment for acute spinal cord injury MAY be coming to The rescue! Obviously I wish I could've gotten into that clinical trial when I was first injured, But I truthfully wish this was legal when I was injured;I haven't seen anything or anyone to slightly change my perspective, I ( as well as others feel the same ) didn't need to see it. I could've gone as who I was before the injury, not as a cripple; that had to be cleaned and carried. At the time went by friends and family said "James won't live like this" "he won't want this". So many different emotions, however; after much work,I still have something to contribute to the cause, something much bigger than myself or my family to be honest, the true fight against the disability; eradication! I've waited and waited for this decision to be made, but because of fear, determination to help so no one lives like this; and God willing gets others out of it, and quite honestly a way to justify living like this for four years the lowest I never thought I would be, truly repulsed; even though so many try to convince me it's not. I feel the way I feel, I won't lie many times I wish I didnt! The mind wants to be happy, the mind wants to be content, The mind wants to be at peace that is the foundation of becoming institutionalized or things like Stockholm syndrome.I felt it in myself, I've seen it in others, end of the day who's to say it's wrongfor anyone other than yourself; for me not like this not through other peoples ability, but that's what dependency is...

I certainly hope people with paraplegia, or even lower/less severe cervical injuries where they are still ambulatory, possess enough function to do their own care for the love of God, and to make majority of their decisions in a day when they want, how they want, anyway they want without having to ask and/ or pay for it. Are denied access into anything like this , If they ask for.
    For a few reasons:
    -they're not dependent and the millions of things and limitations that entails,
    -quality of life is completely different ballgame
    -their medical procedures can easily be done by themselves and only among themselves which not only opensand unfathomable amount of doors that would otherwise be closed, gives them privacy and decency , and makes a world of difference in the league of dignity (I know it's not pretty even if you do it, but at least you're putting in the effort,not burdening someone else, you will also manage hygiene, and being sterile for yourself, better than anyone once you actually feel the results when you don't, it's different for everyone but I know for a lot of people words cannot describe what it's like to have people do the things they do to you)
    -effort can actually be utilized
    - they aren't traped
    - and frankly, if they really want to they got plenty of options they don't have to resort to starvation, they have many ways to do it and more importantly when they want, how they want,where they want, completely without anyone knowing etc. etc.

but, everyone should have this right in the bigger picture; it really really doesn't matter what I think, that's just how I feel...
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 04-18-2016 at 07:36 PM.

Wonder if this would cover me if I was tired of being a pain in the ass to everyone.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

Wonder if this would cover me if I was tired of being a pain in the ass to everyone.
    Only available to Canadian citizens/legal residents.

(KLD)