Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foley at night: pros and cons

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I'm Nuts.. I Know, but you do what you have to.
    Between my doctors and insurance I was cut off a few years ago and started re-using my foleys. Silicon foleys, I have re-used them numerous times with no issues.
    I wash them with hot water, hand soap and flush them through with hot water.
    My insurance has kicked back in again, but I am now paranoid and have built up a nice backup supply and am still reusing with no issues.
    I get 4 night bags a month and rotate through them washing them every 2 days and leaving them to dry etc. so I always have one clean one ready.
    Has worked for me for 7 years.

Totally, NW-Will. I re-use with no issues. I pay out of pocket so I use them for as long as possible. Usually until they become flimsy.

Keeping things clean is the key.

I have patients who just use the straight cath and tape it to their leg. I have always been surprised there was no leaking around it. The only difference is the balloon that is inflated to keep it in and of course the price. CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I have patients who just use the straight cath and tape it to their leg. I have always been surprised there was no leaking around it. The only difference is the balloon that is inflated to keep it in and of course the price. CWO
    What does that drain into?

Also are there issues with difficulty removing a normal straight cath that has been inserted so much longer than it is designed for?

We do not recommend this, as having a foreign object inside your bladder for long periods of time significantly increases your risks for UTI, but those that do this usually tape the catheter to their penis or their inner thigh, and connect the catheter to a regular urinary drainage bag. Removing the straight catheter is not the problem...keeping it in place is. The balloon on a Foley catheter does not prevent leakage...it is there to prevent the catheter from falling out.

(KLD)

I'm still curious about hydration. Is there medical evidence that drinking a lot of water before going to bed somehow helps to stay hydrated during the day? A few times I've not drank the water at night and felt dehydrated the next day so I'm pretty sure that drinking the water is key but I'd like to know if there's any study.

Thanks!

I know of no evidence of this. You need to spread your fluid intake out throughout the day to really stay properly hydrated. Many people who do intermittent cath will deliberately dehydrate themselves in the evening to avoid having to cath as much at night, but they really need to then take a fairly large amount of fluids in the morning to catch up. Your kidneys make urine out of the blood that reaches it, so that is dependent upon such factors as the amount you drink, certain hormones that regulate urine production (such as ADH) and your blood pressure.

(KLD)

I'm really intrigued by this whole thread. Seems like a reasonable bedtime solution. My daughter (C5) and I will be heading in to her yearly uro check and testing in a couple days. I'm going to see what her thoughts are about it and then bring it up to the doc if she wants to give it a go. (She caths via mitrofanoff.)