Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35 years

35 years

How time flies and drags at the same time. That first chair 35 years ago was the basic standard 18" wide E&J tank with projection hand-rims that had like a brake handle cover on them. Those things would fall off, wear out, get lost.... That thing was a pain to drag in and out of the back seat behind me. 35 years later I mean a literal, physical pain as I set in a power chair shoulders that are shot. All those that had to be learned over that I had not given a second thought to before. Relearning how to eat with the silverware stuck into a utensil holder was a time consuming and sometimes an extremely messy process. I sure had a lot of time on my hands to spend working on things. Hurrying to get dressed and put a shirt on using a button hook could not be done in a rush or the buttons were not even close to going into the intended button hole. Then there was the time my young nephew kicked the drain off the bottom of my leg bag while climbing up into my lap. It was a very good thing we were outside. There were extremely hard times along the way before it became apparent I need to develop a warped sense of humor. There are so many ways to fall out of a chair. Thank God for seat dump and the way it helps with sitting balance. And I have often wondered if my first chairs had anti tippers on the back how many more brain cells I would have now. There were some ramps that were just too steep for me to handle safely without flipping over backwards. Am I any wiser now? Who knows. My sense of humor is certainly more warped now.

Congratulations! Obviously you are a strong survivor. Thank you for sharing the wisdom you have gained over the last 35 years with our other members on this forum.

(KLD)

Great job making it this long I'm at 35 years also. That's a lot of sitting feels like ground hog day every morning. You are a very strong survivor, Keep rolling and keep up the good work, see you next year!
    ^^(A)^^

That is a long time. I'm nearly 35 years old. So that puts it's into perspective for me.

Knowing others battled through this successfully is what kept me going in the beginning. I'm in 12 years.

Happy anniversary brother! Two things are required to live this long as a quad(actually many things are required but two of my favorite are...teeth and a sense of humor). 43 here and counting.... Oh the stories we could tell. Maybe we should start a You won't believe this happened thread!
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    How time flies and drags at the same time. That first chair 35 years ago was the basic standard 18" wide E&J tank with projection hand-rims that had like a brake handle cover on them. Those things would fall off, wear out, get lost.... That thing was a pain to drag in and out of the back seat behind me. 35 years later I mean a literal, physical pain as I set in a power chair shoulders that are shot. All those that had to be learned over that I had not given a second thought to before. Relearning how to eat with the silverware stuck into a utensil holder was a time consuming and sometimes an extremely messy process. I sure had a lot of time on my hands to spend working on things. Hurrying to get dressed and put a shirt on using a button hook could not be done in a rush or the buttons were not even close to going into the intended button hole. Then there was the time my young nephew kicked the drain off the bottom of my leg bag while climbing up into my lap. It was a very good thing we were outside. There were extremely hard times along the way before it became apparent I need to develop a warped sense of humor. There are so many ways to fall out of a chair. Thank God for seat dump and the way it helps with sitting balance. And I have often wondered if my first chairs had anti tippers on the back how many more brain cells I would have now. There were some ramps that were just too steep for me to handle safely without flipping over backwards. Am I any wiser now? Who knows. My sense of humor is certainly more warped now.
    Your sense of humor impresses me, only surpassed by your courage, wisdom, stamina.

I have 5 of those old chairs....E&J. I got a new tilite folding chair to use when I can't use my power chair. For me the tilite chair is junk compared to the old E&J. My legs like to go out and they rub on the front leg riggings. So I have to use a belt to hold my legs together and also use a elbow pad on each leg to keep from getting a sore there. I hate that chair. E&J I never had this problem. My dealer said he could get me 2,000 a piece for them. A lot of people like those chairs. E&J made the front rigging lower than the side frame so the side of your leg never touched it. Tilite could take a good lesson here. As a matter of fact most of the new wheelchairs need to redo this problem. I use my E&J over my tilite any day.
    Art

Congratulations Reader. I hope the anniversaries keep coming. I can imagine your Christmas 35 years ago. My first Christmas was bad enough being almost two months post injury at the time. Wishing you a great holiday season this year.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

At 30 for me - I have learned so much from those more experienced than I. Went back to a transfer board for a para after a temporary shoulder injury about ?5yrs ago ... I don't do any risky transfers or lifts anymore. Went to a power chair part-time. Shoulder tendons are good.

Thanks for paving the way and I LOVE your sense of humour!!!!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    I have 5 of those old chairs....E&J. I got a new tilite folding chair to use when I can't use my power chair. For me the tilite chair is junk compared to the old E&J. My legs like to go out and they rub on the front leg riggings. So I have to use a belt to hold my legs together and also use a elbow pad on each leg to keep from getting a sore there. I hate that chair. E&J I never had this problem. My dealer said he could get me 2,000 a piece for them. A lot of people like those chairs. E&J made the front rigging lower than the side frame so the side of your leg never touched it. Tilite could take a good lesson here. As a matter of fact most of the new wheelchairs need to redo this problem. I use my E&J over my tilite any day.
    Agreed, have had 4 E&J's in the past 45+ years. The two I'm using now are from 1984 & 1985 and weigh 35 lbs. but if I'd quit pushing them around I wouldn't have any strength at all. Some days are bad and others are worse but damn it, life goes on.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!