Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Obamacare Ordeal!

Quote Originally Posted by JakeHalsted View Post
    Hi Rainman

I feel ya...I had a tough time this year. Cigna jumped off the exchange, apparently they weren't making a 400% profit. I went through my options (which are less in Florida this year.) I contacted my Urologist and my GP and made SURE they took the insurance I was getting.

But do remember: your gripe is with Humana, the insurance provider. Leave Obama OUT of it. he's the one that got us the ABILITY to buy insurance in the first place

Merry Christmas, Peace and love to you and your family
    Jake,
    The problem is Obamacare in Florida. They only offer HMO's.

I was afraid of the same thing. Then I heard they beat their enrollment projects by 4 million people. Obamacare is going strong, and President Obama will go down in history for this (among many) great achievements.
    Their already rolling back penalties for corporations and etc.. Plus 80% of the policies are subsidized. People like me are not buying into Obamacare which pays for everyone else. I was a fool to do so.

Anyway, before you buy insurance, isn't making sure your health care providers accept that insurance a matter of personal responsibility? Pull up your boot straps...or whatever the hell people say
    Your 100% right on that. I Trusted the Obamacare agent.

4 million more people....were you hear that?....Its just what they want to tell you....its just Propaganda.
    Art

?

I'm not sure what an Agent knows about whether your doctors accept a particular private plan or not.

There are EPOs on the Florida exchange.

I looked for a PPO from someone other than healthcare.gov. None to be found in Florida on the individual market, except retired government employees.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Your 100% right on that. I Trusted the Obamacare agent.

Any response ? "Only HMOs on the market this year."

????

https://mbaileygroup.com/blog/differ...s-blue-select/

all of these were on the exchange this year

Blog Entries
    Any response ? "Only HMOs on the market this year."

????
    It varies state by state.

"Hempstead found that there will be
    fewer or no silver-level PPOs in 22 states next year. Federal records show there will be none in Miami and most Florida counties, much of Texas, New Mexico, New York and many counties in Mississippi and South
    "

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-s...-than-for-hmos

In Texas:

"Following a similar trend that?s happening in many other states, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas decided to stop offering their individual PPO plans in 2016, and instead move to an HMO-only model"

https://www.healthinsurance.org/texa...ance-exchange/

Nothing but HMO in my region of Virginia also. Only two companies bothering to even participate.

From the above cited article, none of the PPO plans made money, and the couple staying open increased rates by ~34% in order to try to do so in 2016.
    Last edited by Oddity; 01-10-2016 at 06:18 PM.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

The Blue Cross plans on floridablue.com include a number of "PPO/EPO" hybrid plans. The Exclusive Provider Organization structure seems more like a HMO with a few PPO features like being able to get some coverage for out of network and out of state care. Looking at the Blue Options plans, their deductible and co-pay when using non-network providers is significantly higher. For SCI, coverage of inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation, DME and whether urinary catheters are considered DME is going to be in the plan's fine print or needs to be discussed directly with a Blue Cross rep.

Humana added a pricey, Bronze PPO in the Houston market at the last minute. I think this may end up saving a lot of lives if it's profitable.
    We have the country's top cancer hospital in our medical center. They were in-network when Blue Cross PPO was available last year but they are out of network for Blue Cross HMO. Patients in the middle of cancer treatment with Blue Cross PPO were getting switched to Blue Cross HMO for 2016 and losing access their treatment team. They would have had to decide whether to change treatment facilities or go bankrupt paying for their own chemo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    The Blue Cross plans on floridablue.com include a number of "PPO/EPO" hybrid plans. The Exclusive Provider Organization structure seems more like a HMO with a few PPO features like being able to get some coverage for out of network and out of state care. Looking at the Blue Options plans, their deductible and co-pay when using non-network providers is significantly higher. For SCI, coverage of inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation, DME and whether urinary catheters are considered DME is going to be in the plan's fine print or needs to be discussed directly with a Blue Cross rep.

Humana added a pricey, Bronze PPO in the Houston market at the last minute. I think this may end up saving a lot of lives if it's profitable.
    We have the country's top cancer hospital in our medical center. They were in-network when Blue Cross PPO was available last year but they are out of network for Blue Cross HMO. Patients in the middle of cancer treatment with Blue Cross PPO were getting switched to Blue Cross HMO for 2016 and losing access their treatment team. They would have had to decide whether to change treatment facilities or go bankrupt paying for their own chemo.
    Yes, but once you drill down to actually shop, and enter your zipcode, you find that what NPR and healthcare.gov reported is true. Very few counties in FL actually have access to the few PPO plans still available.

Changing folks mid-treatment is low. Really low. Of all the dirty ways to save a buck...
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments