Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: My Obamacare Ordeal!

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hampstead NC
    Posts
    1,099
    Since I am on Medicare I have no clue how the ACA actually works. I do think there have been some folks who have signed up, paid a few months premiums, got some physical problem fixed and then dropped their premiums. This shows up in everyone's premiums, and is fraud.

    Any HMO or any of those so called "Advantage plans" defraud the general public as well. The way I read the ACA should work as originally intended would be very close to a one payer system. But enough words got changed to suit some of the conservatives to get enough votes to pass it, screwed the pooch.

    Rainman perhaps you should reassess your plan. Until I get notified that the plan (Medigap) I have currently I will continue it until I die. Yes the premiums have increased a bit But consider I pay about $5000 for all my health insurance out of my pocket, that is my co-pay Medicare, plus the Medi-Gap insurance, and prescription plans everything, with no additional out of pocket co-pays after the fact.

    I have in my lifetime seen high priced doctors who I would not let them attend to my dog. Then there are those who live to be doctors, I have met both. Where they go to school makes no difference, but a doctor is like a mechanic, one who can fix stuff (people) even without every modern convenience or gadget known to man, is priceless. Old, young, they are available, you just have to search them out. Exactly what do you consider a reject type doctor? Some folks go to South East Asia to get operations and physically repaired why? Do you think those doctors just took up their practice without some realistic medical education?

    Good luck with your adventure in studying health care insurance plans.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    It's odd that a lot of those folk come to Canada and our folk migrate to the States, in medicine.
    We have the best medical care in the world, you just have to pay for it. I go to Mayo in Rochester, the SCI department there is amazing.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sullivan View Post
    Since I am on Medicare I have no clue how the ACA actually works. I do think there have been some folks who have signed up, paid a few months premiums, got some physical problem fixed and then dropped their premiums. This shows up in everyone's premiums, and is fraud.

    Any HMO or any of those so called "Advantage plans" defraud the general public as well. The way I read the ACA should work as originally intended would be very close to a one payer system. But enough words got changed to suit some of the conservatives to get enough votes to pass it, screwed the pooch.

    Rainman perhaps you should reassess your plan. Until I get notified that the plan (Medigap) I have currently I will continue it until I die. Yes the premiums have increased a bit But consider I pay about $5000 for all my health insurance out of my pocket, that is my co-pay Medicare, plus the Medi-Gap insurance, and prescription plans everything, with no additional out of pocket co-pays after the fact.

    I have in my lifetime seen high priced doctors who I would not let them attend to my dog. Then there are those who live to be doctors, I have met both. Where they go to school makes no difference, but a doctor is like a mechanic, one who can fix stuff (people) even without every modern convenience or gadget known to man, is priceless. Old, young, they are available, you just have to search them out. Exactly what do you consider a reject type doctor? Some folks go to South East Asia to get operations and physically repaired why? Do you think those doctors just took up their practice without some realistic medical education?

    Good luck with your adventure in studying health care insurance plans.
    Bob,
    Lot of good advice, Thanks! I did call the agent from Obamacare, he said all Obamacare policies in Florida are HMO. I am thinking the only real medical help I most likely need this coming year is from a urologist and maybe a podiatrist. And if something else comes up i'll just go to the ER. The hospital nearest to me is in the plan.

    Called Humana. Their customer service his really good. But, the best they could do was give me a list of doctors. Just a lot of work looking for one from the list.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    We have the best medical care in the world, you just have to pay for it. I go to Mayo in Rochester, the SCI department there is amazing.
    Why can't every hospital work like Mayo? I've been to Rochester and I second the amazing.

  5. #15
    As far as I can see the whole dam heathcare in this country is a mess. You should be able to go and see any doctor you want like it used to be. Obamacare is the biggest joke ever. In 2017 you won't even find a ins. co. because they all going broke. Obamacare sold use out when he said we would have a public option then sold out to the ins. co..
    The real joke pass it then see whats in it....Anybody with any common sense knows this plan is so stupid... leadership of the wosre kind. Most folks I no can't afford it with the high copays. Why buy it when you can't afford the first 10,000 out of pocket. I don't know what the answer is but this sure as hell is not the answer.
    Last Republican debate was about how to build a more stronger military....know body asked how we suppose to pay for it. Even Obama knows its over for his Obamacare. It is going under big time.
    Art

  6. #16
    Art,
    Your right about Obamacare going down. It's tough to find a good pcp that takes Obamacare because there all HMO in Florida. I wonder what it would be to find a specialist if needed.

    Tomorrow i'm going to call another agent to see if I can move to a ppo. Cancel that crappy insurance.

  7. #17

    Humana Ordeal

    Hi Rainman

    I feel ya...I had a tough time this year. Cigna jumped off the exchange, apparently they weren't making a 400% profit. I went through my options (which are less in Florida this year.) I contacted my Urologist and my GP and made SURE they took the insurance I was getting.

    But do remember: your gripe is with Humana, the insurance provider. Leave Obama OUT of it. he's the one that got us the ABILITY to buy insurance in the first place

    Merry Christmas, Peace and love to you and your family


    Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    So this year I thought I would give Obamacare a try. I am tired of paying 800.00 a month to have a low deductible. So I went to a Obamacare help site. They found me a Humana hmo with a 1500.00 deductible for 591.00 a month. I have to pay full price because of income. No problem with that as long as I get good service and treatment. So the agent that sold me the policy said my pcp and urologist is on the list. They sent me a letter that said I can't use my pcp and assign me someone else. But I can go on their site and request someone else from their list and they will let me know if I can switch. So I checked out the pcp they selected. What a joke. This doctor has been practicing for 30yrs. Graduated from Universidad Central Del Este. You think I want my care from someone that studied at a third world school. Plus very small practice. Only sees Humana patients.

    So I went to their web site. Registered. The site said I will have to wait 5 to 7 business days for verification to surf the site. Now I am scared that their whole list will be of reject type doctors.

    I will update as this ordeal goes. Let me know if anybody else has good or bad experiences. Thanks!

  8. #18
    I was afraid of the same thing. Then I heard they beat their enrollment projects by 4 million people. Obamacare is going strong, and President Obama will go down in history for this (among many) great achievements.



    Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Art,
    Your right about Obamacare going down. It's tough to find a good pcp that takes Obamacare because there all HMO in Florida. I wonder what it would be to find a specialist if needed.

    Tomorrow i'm going to call another agent to see if I can move to a ppo. Cancel that crappy insurance.

  9. #19
    Anyway, before you buy insurance, isn't making sure your health care providers accept that insurance a matter of personal responsibility? Pull up your boot straps...or whatever the hell people say

  10. #20
    Suspended Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    9,722
    Dale covered how the numbers don't make any sense to purchase this 'medical care coverage' already. I'm surprised no one is harping yet about the asinine provider costs yet. My last 1/2 hour or so visit was billed over $400 combining doctor/facility fees for renewing a maintenance prescription. And we wonder why the insurance numbers don't make sense.

Similar Threads

  1. SupraPubic Ordeal
    By river61 in forum Care
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 03:56 PM
  2. Paralyzed nurse's ordeal binds a family
    By Max in forum Spinal Cord Injury News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 05:34 PM
  3. Wheelchair ordeal for MS woman
    By Max in forum Ability & Disability News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2003, 03:53 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2002, 06:30 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2001, 01:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •