Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transferring into your Handcycle and Back - any Tips and Techniques

Transferring into your Handcycle and Back - any Tips and Techniques

I recently bought a handcycle (Force RX), and I'd be interested to hear your tips and techniques for transferring into a handcycle and back. Yes, I've seen the YouTube videos of flawless transfers. They look great and maybe I'll get there someday with practice. I'm assuming that others have developed some tricks along the way that work for you. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking into buying a bath chair lift (thanks John for the tip!), which should help me get started.

Thanks!

I have gotten a perfectly good working bath chair lift off Craigslist for $100.00. Used lifts show up often. Bargains require daily searching.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

i use a hydrolic lift cart i got from harbor freight works great

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-...art-60730.html
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I have gotten a perfectly good working bath chair lift off Craigslist for $100.00. Used lifts show up often. Bargains require daily searching.
    Thanks, good advice. I actually found the handcycle on craigslist. I didn't really expect to find anything like this on CL, just thought I'd give it a try. You never know...

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    i use a hydrolic lift cart i got from harbor freight works great

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-...art-60730.html
    Interesting. It looks like it has a handcrank to lift the table. Is it easy to reach?

no problem. the table from harbor freight that wheelin 48 mentioned is another good idea. you'll get it. keep scouring youtube, lots of great transfer vids

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
    I recently bought a handcycle (Force RX), and I'd be interested to hear your tips and techniques for transferring into a handcycle and back. Yes, I've seen the YouTube videos of flawless transfers. They look great and maybe I'll get there someday with practice. I'm assuming that others have developed some tricks along the way that work for you. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking into buying a bath chair lift (thanks John for the tip!), which should help me get started.

Thanks!
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I used a bench that was almost exactly half way between the seat of my handcycle and wheelchair seat (with cushion). When exiting cycle I would remove wheelchair cushion, do push-up onto bench, then place feet on cycle seat, lean forward and do push up onto wheelchair.
    I'm paralyzed, not SCI, also with very weak tricep and bicep on left arm, normal right arm.

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
    Interesting. It looks like it has a handcrank to lift the table. Is it easy to reach?

yes i even redid the handle so it goes all the way up easy to reach theres a pic of it on here under a thread i think its called transfer i made for handcycle ill try and find the pic
    the post is below you can see how i extended the handle super simple

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...-and-lift-cart
    Last edited by wheelin 48; 12-20-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Do the same as this, with Ikea foot stools.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    I used a bench that was almost exactly half way between the seat of my handcycle and wheelchair seat (with cushion). When exiting cycle I would remove wheelchair cushion, do push-up onto bench, then place feet on cycle seat, lean forward and do push up onto wheelchair.
    I'm paralyzed, not SCI, also with very weak tricep and bicep on left arm, normal right arm.