Thread: enlarged heart

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

enlarged heart

can a xray show fluid around the heart? I been having some discomfort on the left side of my chest. had xray to check for pneumonia and came back good but showed a enlarged heart. 37 c3 quad 20yrs post. is it common thing in quads?

Im a para. Xrays can show water around the heart. Even enlargement. I usually get it around flu season. Lack of exercise being the culprit.
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
    "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

I have never seen any research relating the two problems.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I would see your doctor who ordered the xray to discuss this result and see if it is significant. They can refer you to a cardiologist if they are not sure.

There is no relationship that I know of between SCI and heart problems like this.

Do you have high blood pressure?

I'm no doctor, but it seems to me that significant scoliosis might be a more important factor in this than being a quad, per se. My torso is severly torqued and it impinges on my heart - wouldn't surprise me if some compensatory cardiac responses are going on. Is it possible that you have a similar set of circumstances? I think it would be a good idea for you to see a cardiologist, as there might be something that could alleviate your discomfort (and its cause).
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

I wonder sometimes if A/D is really bad for the heart. All along whenever my bladder contracts I get A/D and I wonder if that is beating up on my heart long term especially now as I'm quickly approaching 60. I sometimes feel it in my chest when I get a/d really bad.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I wonder sometimes if A/D is really bad for the heart. All along whenever my bladder contracts I get A/D and I wonder if that is beating up on my heart long term especially now as I'm quickly approaching 60. I sometimes feel it in my chest when I get a/d really bad.
    That's a good question, it makes sense that A/D might have an effect on the heart. Like you, I'm in my 60s now, a time when many things catch up with people - especially the accommodations our bodies have had to make to chronic conditions like SCI (even though SCI is not usually considered to have a direct impact on heart health). Those internal balancing acts the body carries must be very stressful, physiologically - mirroring the difficulties presented by the life we're conscious of. I can feel my heart in my chest sometimes, too, and it's scary - with me, it's due to scoliosis, but I think there might be a host of conditions that could cause it.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions