Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jaw gets tired, sometimes

Jaw gets tired, sometimes

Sometimes, my jaw gets tired and sore, when I'm eating. It Doesn't happen all the time, and I can't predict what will cause it (for example, I can chew meat with no problem. One day, and have the sore jaws the next day.) The soreness disappears fairly quickly after I stop chewing.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I have the same thing when my blood pressure is really low. Could that be the problem?

Are you gritting your teeth at night? Need a bite guard.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Happens to me all the time. For me it's because I only eat 1800-2000 calories total in a day. Not much chewing going on for that amount of food.

I now chew three pieces of gum at a time to strengthen my jaw, teeth and gums in the absence of my prior 5000+ calorie a day able bodied never stop eating/chewing diet. Oh how I miss the days of ordering a 14" pizza all for myself and eating it within a couple of hours washed down with several beer and ice cream after. And that would just be dinner.

I can remember my friend's leaving the leftovers out if they knew I was stopping by because then they wouldn't have to put anything away after. I wouldn't even dirty a plate sometimes... just stand there and eat it. Anyway, my point is that chewing more helps retain the stamina in your jaw and it shouldn't get tired or sore as much.

Quote Originally Posted by wddamf View Post
    I have the same thing when my blood pressure is really low. Could that be the problem?
    I've had low blood pressure sitting in my chair for the last 34 years plus, but this jaw pain issue is relatively new. Of course, I'm getting older, so maybe that could be an issue now?
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Are you gritting your teeth at night? Need a bite guard.
    Not that I know of. My dentist has never said that he is any indication of that. I should be seeing him soon, when they can fit me in for my usual appointment, so I'll ask him then.
    Alan

Same happens with me...deff has to do with low BP. Sometimes I'll take a low dose of midodrine about 45 mins b4 meal time.
    C6/7 Complete

14 years post injury

I'am 23 and I get the same thing, mostly in the mornings and seems to be common with cereal but not always. Honestly I think biphosphonate's can be a culprit or a lease exasperate the pain

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    I'am 23 and I get the same thing, mostly in the mornings and seems to be common with cereal but not always. Honestly I think biphosphonate's can be a culprit or a lease exasperate the pain
    I don't think those, so that's not the source of my problem. Sounds like it certainly could be a possibility for people with this problem who do take those medications to explore/
    Alan

It happens to me periodically as well. Sometimes I can "power through" a meal without taking a break to rest my jaws; other times five or six bites of something can tire them out.

I have yet to determine a cause, although I used to think it was certain foods. But after reading this thread, I will try to pay attention to my BP when it happens.

My jaws do get tired if I am feverish and trying to prevent them from chattering. A cheap alternative to a bite guard from the dentist is a mouthpiece/mouthguard used for sports (which can also be customized by boiling, cooling, and fitting it to one's mouth).
    Last edited by BillMiller823; 01-24-2016 at 11:52 PM.