Thread: Easystand glider pic, do you think the arms need to be adjusted?

Easystand glider pic, do you think the arms need to be adjusted?

My left side is weaker and that shoulder is limited, if you look at the right side that arm seems at a better position. Was just wondering if I moved the glider arms up or down if it would be better? Appreciate the help, thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I try to adjust the arms of the glider so the shoulders are in a neutral position(down) and a 90o bend at the elbow as much as possible. Congrats on using the stander; it feels so good to stand and stretch out. You may want to securely place a few hooks in the ceiling overhead for bands or cords to get a good over the head stretch and exercise while standing.

Thank you Patrick, would you say my shoulders could go a little lower? I don't own the glider yet but think I'm going in that direction. Thank you for the overhead suggestions, I had been thinking of ideas but not sure the best way to do things. I'm hoping that while standing I can figure out an effective core workout as well. My left arm is weak so not easy moving that side of the glider. Since using the glider my left ankle has been hurting, I used my afo today for extra safety and hope that helps. Appreciate you sharing your experiences and how you use the glider and the benefits and improvements you see. Thank you!

I've been using a stander since the came out in the early '80's. Before that I used leg braces to stand. I feel standing has kept me healthier with much less complications than my friends who didn't stand. If anything it helps my mental state and allows for varied workouts using bands and cords of different strengths. The beauty of the cords and bands is one can't overdo the resistance causing damage.

The overhead cord is also good for stretching the lats while sitting in my chair. I back up to the seat of the glider and reach for the cords from behind and do pull downs. I also have them tied to the foot plates to do curls with and other heights to workout while sitting in my chair also.

Lowering the arms would also lower the shoulder girdle. You want to squeeze the rhomboids between the shoulders while gliding. It raises the chest area making for better form and function while gliding. I'm 6'2" and have the arms set about 1/2 way between the table. You'll get less resistance if you disconnect the cylinders making it easier to work the arm attachment. The glider part , imo, is more for cardio and stretch than strength. Strength will come as your cardio improves while standing.

Looking at your photo; I would lower the arms as much as possible. Mine are set where the upper grip is about two inches above the table. It'll be much less stress on your elbows and will work the triceps much more efficiently. If you can get the seat/back a little more forward by pushing the table support forward a bit that would allow you to stand a bit straighter to where you're incorporating the rhomboids and lower core more. The seat only goes so far forward so you may be at it's limit. If it is, concentrating on squeezing the shoulders together will improve your posture so you're not leaning into the machine that causes the hunching forward. If you can't squeeze the rhomboids, try concentrating on having the base of the skull behind your shoulders, if that makes sense. Again, that will force the chest to rise putting your shoulder in a better standing posture.

It's late so I hope this made sense. Using a stander is probably one of the better things you can do for yourself. Using cords and bands placed at various heights is ideal when working out from your chair. I tie a loop at one end and thread the other thru it to secure it at whatever height I want. You can really work out your shoulder challenges properly doing that.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 12-07-2015 at 05:27 AM.

Thank you for this Patrick! I will work on lowering the arms and doing things with a little better form. What's the difference between bands and cords? With the overhead hooks I could also try suspension trainer type straps, maybe using my own weight to strength train? Do you ever stand outside of the frame? Another idea I have with the hooks, if they were installed over your bed and the cords used to hold my legs off the bed, maybe I could get some back and forth movement. Thoughts? I think you have great ideas and probably learned from trial and error and I appreciate your help.

There's not too much difference between the bands and cords. The bands seem to spread out the tension a bit more than cords do so I'm starting to prefer the bands more.. I use both just because I have them. When the shoulders were good, I thought the cords and bands were not beneficial. But since then, I've realized they are a very valuable tool for rehabbing the shoulders and getting the strength and motion back without the worry of lifting too much too soon. I still workout in a gym with a trainer doing free weights and ride a handcycle.

If you're adding hooks to the ceiling or anywhere, make sure they are securely screwed into solid wood. Would be a drag to have them pull out on you in full stretch lol. All your ideas are really good. Anything you can do is beneficial and thinking outside the box is what makes it all worthwhile. Here's a photo of my glider with cords and bands I use while sitting in my chair or standing in the frame. I don't stand outside my stander.

I also use a Vitaglide and shoulder press at home.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 12-07-2015 at 03:48 PM.