Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Windows 10 upgrade woes

  1. #1

    Windows 10 upgrade woes

    So I found a little time to upgrade my wife's computer from W-7 to W-10. I took the easy route and used the online Microsoft upgrade webpage. Every thing went smoothly until it was in the last stage copying files. When it got to the 85% complete stage it froze. The freeze was attributed to an Error Code 0xC1900101 ? 0x30018. I have searched and searched the Internet for a solution. What I learned is that Microsoft really does not know what is causing these freezes, and there are a myriad of suggestions to try that reportedly worked for someone. Over the past two days I think I have tried all of them but one. That entails upgrading from a usb instead of the net. I have the usb copy made and am ready to do a basic upgrade. There is no reason to do a clean installation. If I understand correctly all I need to do is to start Windows 7, open the usb drive, and run a setup drive on it. I do not have to go through the boot up, etc. required for a clean installation. Am I on the right path?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

    See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

  2. #2
    I haven't upgraded to windows 10 but I got a surface book pro last week. They released a major update yesterday that solved a lot of flakiness.

    Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    So I found a little time to upgrade my wife's computer from W-7 to W-10. I took the easy route and used the online Microsoft upgrade webpage. Every thing went smoothly until it was in the last stage copying files. When it got to the 85% complete stage it froze. The freeze was attributed to an Error Code 0xC1900101 ? 0x30018. I have searched and searched the Internet for a solution. What I learned is that Microsoft really does not know what is causing these freezes, and there are a myriad of suggestions to try that reportedly worked for someone. Over the past two days I think I have tried all of them but one. That entails upgrading from a usb instead of the net. I have the usb copy made and am ready to do a basic upgrade. There is no reason to do a clean installation. If I understand correctly all I need to do is to start Windows 7, open the usb drive, and run a setup drive on it. I do not have to go through the boot up, etc. required for a clean installation. Am I on the right path?

  3. #3
    Senior Member TomRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,094
    Blog Entries
    1
    I upgraded from 8.1, but then had Geek Squad remotely for a couple hours straightening things out.
    Tom

    "Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

  4. #4
    Something you should do is backup your Windows 7 and do a clean install and that think you'll figure out That it will install correctly. Then do a restore of your Windows 7 files, just do The Windows Easy Transfer on your Windows 7 first. I came across a similar problem on doing an upgrade where it was freezing on a driver, so I did a clean install and at work correctly
    C4 incomplete since 1985

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,813
    I upgraded 7 to 10. It took forever and longer. No issues. Are you running any security software? What about "going to sleep?" I also thought you are able to undo the upgrade and basically start all over.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    I upgraded 7 to 10. It took forever and longer. No issues. Are you running any security software? What about "going to sleep?" I also thought you are able to undo the upgrade and basically start all over.
    Eventually everything except the keyboard ard mouse were removed and disabled as well as the security stuff. Same thing happens. Since t-8 says MS did an update I will try again. If that does not work, I guess I am left with the clean install approach. Having an SCI is bad enough but when you are also afflicted with the Murphy's Law Syndrome, life can be hell. lol

    When it freezes I have to shutdown and restart. Then it restores Windows 7. Since
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

    See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

  7. #7
    I had a similar problem updating a friend's computer. I can't remember what the codes were, but I finally figured out her problem. Do you have any programs running on start up? The cause on my friend's computer was, believe or not, ccleaner. I deleted the program, installed windows 10 and everything worked fine. Then I reinstalled ccleaner after the install. I am guessing that it is a driver that is not shutting off, even when you shut it down in the task manager. So, I would suggest removing whatever programs you have that runs on boot up and see if that helps. Then reinstall after windows 10 is running. One question, did your wife's computer have the update icon in the bottom right of the taskbar, or did you just download the iso? If you decide to download the iso, your chances of getting a good install is much better if you burn it to a dvd, and install it from there.

  8. #8
    Sugarcube, thanks for those suggestions. You have given me a couple of tweaks that I had not thought of. I am going to work on my wife's computer tomorrow (Sunday) when she is at church praying that she still has a computer when she gets home. lol
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

    See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,813
    I despise the mouse in Windows 10. It pretty much works like a cell phone does. I have set all of the settings as slow as it allows and the mouse is continually jumping and opening incorrect item. "smart mouse." Windows 10 works fine for me. Really no issues. Have you done the upgrade to the device when Microsoft sent you the email telling you it now is available or did you do it before receiving that? 10 came out and I had to wait a while until I was notified that my machine was ready. It sounded like upgrade was almost device specific.

    Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Eventually everything except the keyboard ard mouse were removed and disabled as well as the security stuff. Same thing happens. Since t-8 says MS did an update I will try again. If that does not work, I guess I am left with the clean install approach. Having an SCI is bad enough but when you are also afflicted with the Murphy's Law Syndrome, life can be hell. lol

    When it freezes I have to shutdown and restart. Then it restores Windows 7. Since

  10. #10
    You download the Media Creation Toll exe....u have to choices...upgrade this pc now or create installation media for another pc...if you pick upgrade this pc now it will take 6 to 8 hours am told. The other create installation media...click next select your stuff...click next copy to usb or iso file for DVD. My puter are to old to even try and boot from usb so I would choice the iso file. I herd of last....they just did a big download patch for my new dell 10 that took 6 hours at 1 mg here. You are suppose to do a clean install and use your old windows key....as what I found out on the web.....I don't believe all of it to new yet. I would download it to upgrade this puter which reg. your current key....write it down just I case it chanced and if you like it do a clean install after you are happy. My new dell puter they wanted that 70 bucks to do a backup of my os.....lol....I found out you can go to control panel.....file history folder....nothing much shows up....scroll down to bottom of page and windows 10 hide it there...at the left hand corner you can do a system image backup on cd's......took 7 and the last disk was a boot disk. I also did the Recovery also since I got so many packs of cd's around here...no use in wasting a usb stick for that and can't boot from it even on my new dell 17 laptop which has a cd drive...usb drives are for smaller laptops and such I guess. In my boot reg. I could not even find boot from usb on this big of laptop. My son bought a thin one with no cd burner which then you have to use a usb stick.1300 he paid for that stupid thing.....way to small for me......lol
    You can find a lot about how to do things by googling it as I did. Windows 10 not bad but that outlook mail really sucks......hate it.....cant make folders for email I get...You can save it online I hate to do that....sometimes my internet does not work for days and nice to keep my folder on my puter if offline which am use to. Some say windows live mail will work other can't make it work. What ever I decide I'll do restore point so I can go back if it messes things up. I do that with anything I download just in case....saved my butt more than once.
    There are other ways to copy your hard drive by the run or search tool....Just need what to put in it and you can find that on google to. Damm Dell and trying to scam people.
    Art

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2015, 03:15 PM
  2. Windows woes
    By SCIfor55+yrs. in forum Computers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 08:32 AM
  3. Vista 32 bit upgrade to Windows 8 64 bit
    By weimin in forum Computers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-03-2013, 09:48 PM
  4. hate windows live, windows mail
    By cindy in forum Computers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 12:29 AM
  5. Windows 7 full ver. or Upgrade ?
    By coolbreeze in forum Computers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-05-2010, 02:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •