Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: airless tire inserts?

A respectable bike shop will do any wheelchair wheel/tire work for you . I guarantee you would not be the first disabled person to have asked them.

yeah I'm planning on asking the bike shop that fixed my flats. thanks.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Is there a certain tool I should make sure the shop has to install the shox? I don't want them to damage anything.

I bought the tool that Shox recommended to use. I have someone help me install mine. When I used tubed tires, the bike shop here punctured 4 inner tubes trying to install them on my Spinergy rims. I doubt that the shop here could mount the Shox. I would ask if they have ever installed them before to be on the safe side, maybe?

There are videos on youtube demonstrating different ways to install solid tires. One shows the tool that I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qctPRiL4nYY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH9Anud7Ocg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIwU0aWbMWM

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    Is there a certain tool I should make sure the shop has to install the shox? I don't want them to damage anything.
    I had Shox tires put on my manual chair the last time I needed tires and the bike shop that normally changes my tires had no problems with them. In retrospect they do have more rolling resistance than my Schwalbes did, a big difference for me.

hmmm thanks I will ask questions

well my local bike shop doesn't want to do it and the guy who fixed my power chair wants $100 and he said that's being generous as it takes an hour each wheel! geeze. I'm gonna try another bike shop and the dme I'm getting my new chair from.

Once you've had a flat, you'll never go back.

I was thinking about switching to airless on my front casters 8 x 1/4 but and keep pneumatics on the 24 x 1 3/8 tires. Not sure how it will ride with these on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stan View Post
    I was thinking about switching to airless on my front casters 8 x 1/4 but and keep pneumatics on the 24 x 1 3/8 tires. Not sure how it will ride with these on.
    I haven't tried mounting new tires on 8 inch wheels yet. I have some which need it and I have the tires and tubes, but it might be a challenge. I don't see how one could get a airless tube in one unless it was on a split rim. By split rim I mean one of the aluminum rims that come apart. Both sides are held together with 4-6 bolts around the axle.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.