Thread: Wheelchair Exercise Training Rollers

Wheelchair Exercise Training Rollers

I'm looking for something inexpensive to do stationary pushing. Any suggestions?

Had my eye on this for a while but so expensive. Figure there must be a DIY method:

http://www.sportaid.com/mclain-wheel...g-rollers.html

Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

stationary...cheap...safe. 2 lb weight.... work every arm and shoulder exercise 2 sides, in a circuit for half an hour. You've got to start out...5 minutes..then to 6 ...etc. because you will hurt. you dont' want to hurt, this should amount to cardio.

you wanna work your legs out?

next...buy yourself a recumbant bike on ebay.....take the pedals down to a bike shop. tell them you want shoes and binding pedals. put them on. use your arms to move your legs...30 minutes...60....300 minutes...the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Had my eye on this for a while but so expensive. Figure there must be a DIY method:

http://www.sportaid.com/mclain-wheel...g-rollers.html

I saw this also but it's way to expensive. Maybe I can find a cheaper version.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    I saw this also but it's way to expensive. Maybe I can find a cheaper version.
    Well that was easy. Found one on ebay.

I'd be Leary on that roller system. The rollers look really small and depending on the resistance setup, not very efficient.

I built one in the '80's using four inch tubing with 10 dollar bearings pressed into each side secured with angle iron. For resistance I used a squirrel cage fan I bought at a bike store. It worked okay for the handcycle but was pretty faunky with my chair. There wasn't a smooth momentum.

If you could find a used Vitaglide that would be ideal. I think they're starting up again if they haven't already. For really cheap beneficial wheeling find a ramp indoors or out. It doesn't have to be steep or long. Go up forward then try backwards. It'll work you bigtime. Cords and bands have become my best friend as part of my workout at home. I use hooks in the ceiling for overhead stuff and tie them off at various heights to my stander.

A really cheap ergometer is getting a regular exercise bike and bolting it to a wall with the wheel free. Use the pedals as handles and there ya go. I cut off the back half on one I built years ago and used it for years. Worked great. Back in the day we had to innovate to workout as there weren't fancy disabled equipment to use.

https://www.resna.org/sites/default/...ty/rammer.html

ETA: Whoops, sorry. Upon reading further, it's a design for pediatric wheelchairs.
    Last edited by lynnifer; 12-01-2015 at 05:10 AM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I'd be Leary on that roller system. The rollers look really small and depending on the resistance setup, not very efficient.

I built one in the '80's using four inch tubing with 10 dollar bearings pressed into each side secured with angle iron. For resistance I used a squirrel cage fan I bought at a bike store. It worked okay for the handcycle but was pretty faunky with my chair. There wasn't a smooth momentum.

If you could find a used Vitaglide that would be ideal. I think they're starting up again if they haven't already. For really cheap beneficial wheeling find a ramp indoors or out. It doesn't have to be steep or long. Go up forward then try backwards. It'll work you bigtime. Cords and bands have become my best friend as part of my workout at home. I use hooks in the ceiling for overhead stuff and tie them off at various heights to my stander.

A really cheap ergometer is getting a regular exercise bike and bolting it to a wall with the wheel free. Use the pedals as handles and there ya go. I cut off the back half on one I built years ago and used it for years. Worked great. Back in the day we had to innovate to workout as there weren't fancy disabled equipment to use.
    My new apartment doesn't have a lot of room for pushing around so hopefully this will work for now. Pushing is a good exercise for me.

Resistance bands may help. There are all kinds. Can probably anchor them to many different things.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Resistance bands may help. There are all kinds. Can probably anchor them to many different things.
    Thanks I'm bringing most of my equipment ergys bike hand cycle ricksaw. I usually push for a few hours so this should work for now.