Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy/SP: any folks out there with colostomy/SP post SCI?

Colostomy/SP: any folks out there with colostomy/SP post SCI?

I am 40 + years post T 5 incomplete injury w upper motor neuron bowel and bladder.So far have managed w standard bowel program, but it gets more difficult every year. Empty my bladder via crede, and am dealing w chronic tunneled wound near rectum from a surgery. Surgeon also suggests supra pubic cath. Anyone have both? thoughts or experiences welcomed.

I've had my sp for 25 years. It's so much easier than having to cath. Colostomy I've had 1 1/2 years. There is no comparison to bc. It's like night and day. Two of the best decisions I've ever made.

Suggest you do a search on our forums. There have been many discussions about elective colostomy, both for those with SP indwelling catheters and those who manage their bladder through different methods.

(KLD)

Crede failed for me after 25yrs.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I had both a colostomy and urostomy done at the same time. Got the colostomy due to gastroparisis from pain meds and as a quad, my BPs were the bane of my existence cuz I reqd complete assistance. Now my quality of living is much better...waay less stress and anxiety. Best decision I ever made. Got the urostomy due to constant back to back UTIs from indwelling foley cath. Another good move since I'm unable to self cath.
    C6/7 Complete

14 years post injury

What is Crede? I've had my suprapubic since 1989 and a colostomy since 2005. Right now I'm having a lot of problems with the suprapubic and an infection (actually three infections) overall it's well worth it!
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Quote Originally Posted by crppled007 View Post
    What is Crede? I've had my suprapubic since 1989 and a colostomy since 2005. Right now I'm having a lot of problems with the suprapubic and an infection (actually three infections) overall it's well worth it!
    Crede is a technique for emptying the bladder by pushing on the lower abdomen. It is not as bowel emptying tech.

(KLD)

Thanks for feedback. It seems mainly positive.I've had a good run for 40 years without inventions, but it may be time to reconsider!

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    I've had my sp for 25 years. It's so much easier than having to cath. Colostomy I've had 1 1/2 years. There is no comparison to bc. It's like night and day. Two of the best decisions I've ever made.
    totally 100% agree a quad freedom no accidents or at least rarely
    independce

Blog Entries
    Is colostomy an option being taken up by older para's with SCI as well ??