Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nursing Home

KLD: I'm in a nursing home. The Ombudsman here is a joke. I've made a complaint to her before and she didn't know what to do about the problem I was having. I'll have to find the CRISISline number. I've never heard anyone mention anything about it. I could have someone call the corporate office and tell them with is going on here.

The CRISISline I mentioned is specific to California. I don't know if they have a similar reporting system in MO. You are unlikely to get anything accomplished by contacting the corporate office. Much better to go through your ombudsman and/or the Dept. of Health. If the ombudsman or Dept. of Health are unresponsive, you might want to contact your state legislator's office.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Also, if Medicaid is paying, you should still have a Medicaid caseworker. They can be powerful advocates on behalf of their clients and often more effective than the ombudsman (a chain up where I live - not Vivage - is legendary for hiring ombudsmen as consultants and administrators - it was a very effective feeder system which the ombudsmen were reluctant to disrupt and was shut down by complaints on behalf of clients to Medicaid by staff at a local rehab, which led to giant investigation, still ongoing 3.5 years later).

I was told that in this nursing home they won't let us use medical marijuana because Medicare pays part of our bill. They are afraid that the federal government would stop payment on Medicare. I don't see how they can because they haven't stopped federal funding from the states that have legalized marijuana. Marijuana is still illegal by federal law and they supersede all state laws.

Whether complaints are handled sensibly or not it is useful to continue to file them. Once you have nice stack it is ammunition to take things higher.

It is not uncommon for federal law to supercede state law. The States know this and do not want to lose their federal funding. You really can't blame them on that number.

That being said, I would take your concerns up the chain and let them know why you are concerned. Are you smoking marijuana or taking CBD oil? Have you tried this? Is there some sort of compromise that you and they can live with?

I agree with tetracyclone - the more complaints you file (as long as they are legitimate), the better off you will be in the long run.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Most hospitals, med schools, rehabs, nursing homes, subsidized housing (ie, section 8) etc... will not allow medical marijuana use if they get any federal monies, which Medicare is straight federal money - it doesn’t go through the state at all, and Medicaid is mixed federal and state monies. Marijuana remains a schedule 1 drug under federal law, and prosecution is at federal discretion. State law absolutely does not supersede federal law on drug prosecutions. The federal government reserves the right to prosecute at its discretion, and it will if it believes that states are not enforcing in compliance with federal priorities. https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/...eduling-system. https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/mar...l-implications

CKF I haven't tried any of the marijuana products yet. I'm thinking about trying it because the muscle relaxers aren't working. The last time I smoked weed it made me paranoid as hell. That's when I decided it was time to quit. Not really looking to have to go back to using it again.

That was someone from the corporate office that told why they won't let us use medical marijuana.

Blog Entries
    As a past victim of a nursing home what he's claiming is very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
    I had a nurses aid put a pair of pants on me this morning. She failed to check my bed pad to see if it was wet. It was soaked with urine. I was on that pad when she put the pants on I told her the pad and my pants were wet. She argued with me that the pad was not wet just damp from sweat and that my pants were dry. She could not
    tell anything because she was wearing gloves at the time. I told her to change my pants and she said that she wasn't going to and that day shift would have to deal with it and left with the wet pad. This was at 6:25am this morning. The nurse came in ten minutes later. I told her what happened she have heartedly checked my pants and said they were dry. I then pointed out to her where they were wet at she would not check that spot. When the day shift aids got here they checked my pants and verified what I had told the nurse was true. This afternoon I told the head nurse (DON) what happened and that I wanted to file a punishment change against her. This would ruin her career because in nursing and any kind of job taking care of adults or children for life. The CNAS here get away with not doing their duties. I want to make an example out of her to let the others know that this is what will happen to you if you all don't straighten up your acts.
    The DON hasn't gotten back with me. I don't think that she thinks I'm serious about this probably won't do anything about it. I'm serious as a heart attack about this. It will teach the others here that their games are over. They have been doing this lately because they are they want me out of here. They don't like people that are can speak up for them selves. They want people that are not all there (so to speak) so that they can get away with not taking care of them. (not all of the aids are like that) What do I do about that.