Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaking urine. One way or another..

Leaking urine. One way or another..

Hello,
    I am a quadriplegic with a suprapubic.. I've never had leaking around the superpubic or out of the penis (unless bladder stones) until this year (Year 19). But when I get up in the chair, I am experiencing that now.. My doctor said it's good that it is being released instead of being stuck with no place to go. Anyone else experience this?

It's too much for me.. I just want to go somewhere and die..
    "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"

A friend who is quadriplegic just went through this ... her bladder shrunk. She also had to have a new suprapubic placed. Do you have a urologist?

I'm paraplegic and have been dealing with bladder and now bowel leaking for a while. Certainly not fun. I get days where I just want to curl up and die too .. patience Danial-sun.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    A friend who is quadriplegic just went through this ... her bladder shrunk. She also had to have a new suprapubic placed. Do you have a urologist?

I'm paraplegic and have been dealing with bladder and now bowel leaking for a while. Certainly not fun. I get days where I just want to curl up and die too .. patience Danial-sun.
    Yes, I do have a urologist. He's the one who said "it's good that it is being released instead of being stuck with no place to go". I never had accidents when younger.
    But, If you are having leakage after a bowl movement. You may want to try a catheter in the rectum. It seems to get rid of any fluids/particles etc. Especially when bowl movement, doesn't go well.. Well I've had patience, going on 20 years now. Anyhow just some feedback, Thanks for the reply..

30yrs here. I think what your urologist meant, is that it's good it's reflex voiding, instead of back up into the kidneys as that can cause kidney damage ... and those can't be replaced. I never had accidents when younger either.

My bowel is prolapsed at the moment and am waiting for an appointment with a surgeon. The wait list is long. But thanks. You're not alone.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by MagikLair View Post
    Hello,
    I am a quadriplegic with a suprapubic.. I've never had leaking around the superpubic or out of the penis (unless bladder stones) until this year (Year 19). But when I get up in the chair, I am experiencing that now.. My doctor said it's good that it is being released instead of being stuck with no place to go. Anyone else experience this?

It's too much for me.. I just want to go somewhere and die..
    What size and type of catheter are you using?

Also, are you in a power or push chair?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    What size and type of catheter are you using?
    Just a regular Foley size 22. (Not one of those hard plastic ones)
    Also, are you in a power or push chair?I had a power chair but was real heavy and didn't use. So just got a regular push chair

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    30yrs here. I think what your urologist meant, is that it's good it's reflex voiding, instead of back up into the kidneys as that can cause kidney damage ... and those can't be replaced. I never had accidents when younger either.

My bowel is prolapsed at the moment and am waiting for an appointment with a surgeon. The wait list is long. But thanks. You're not alone.
    Thanks for the reply. 30 years is a long time. I see your a T11, yeah just wish had my arms like you.
    Yes that's what I'm assuming also in regards to the urologist. Good luck with your surgery.
    Regards

Your catheter may be shifting position when you sit up in your chair. (If you were in a power chair, I would have asked if you had the problem when reclined.)
    When sitting you're going to have more pressure on your bladder and if the catheter tip is not positioned well, it might stop it up against the bladder wall.
    You might consider changing to the Duette catheter. I had been having trouble leaking really bad from December of last year until about 5 weeks ago when I began using it and it was like a miracle. I haven't leaked for about 4 weeks now. Check it out:
    http://www.poiesismedical.com/products/duette/

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    Your catheter may be shifting position when you sit up in your chair. (If you were in a power chair, I would have asked if you had the problem when reclined.)
    When sitting you're going to have more pressure on your bladder and if the catheter tip is not positioned well, it might stop it up against the bladder wall.
    You might consider changing to the Duette catheter. I had been having trouble leaking really bad from December of last year until about 5 weeks ago when I began using it and it was like a miracle. I haven't leaked for about 4 weeks now. Check it out:
    http://www.poiesismedical.com/products/duette/
    Yes I'm not sure. I had no problems for 19+ years. Now all of a sudden this has become an issue. Did you always have problems or after time?

But I'll look into it. Thanks for the feedback

I've had my SP since 1997 and last December was the first time it leaked. I have/had been using a size 22fr but the Duette only goes to size 18fr. I was worried that I'd leak due to the smaller size, but I'm dry. Hooray!