Thread: Baclofen Pump Flex Pattern

Baclofen Pump Flex Pattern

My pump was recently programmed so that I have more tone during the day. The overall dose is the same but during the day my bladder is voiding 2 or 3 times a day in between caths with little warning if any. I am on bladder medication. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, what did you do? I like the extra tone during the day but not the accidents.

Years ago. I had mine set up to give me more about 6 am to 10 am and 7pm to 10 pm cause of transferring to and from my chair. It helped but still had to add a little more bladder meds too during the day. The bladder meds helped better than the Baclofen. When you contract your lower abs in transferring or lifting you self up. It adds pressure to bowels and bladder causing the leak.

It is possible when you have higher tone in your muscles that in turn you will get higher tone and spasms in your bladder
    you may need to increase the bladder spasm medication. Consult your provider

pbr

Is this why that Ry urinates more frequently since he had the pump installed? His now has a back up urinal so that he has an empty one at all times (including when I am dumping and washing one). His dad gets up 3 hours after Ry goes to bed and dumps and cleans #1, that was left on his table, and makes sure #2 is empty, (hanging on the loop on his chair), dumping ans washing if necessary. When I get up 3 hours later, chair urinal is dumped and washed and he needs to pee when he gets up 2 hours later.

He uses a clean wash cloth every time he uses the urinal and the volume of washcloths has increased considerably. I know the tag says do not bleach but I do since I know what they are used for and Ry carries urinary bacteria. The bacteria has never caused a UTI but if I do not bleach them, what would kill the bacteria? I just replace them every 6 moths from COSTCO as they are cheep there.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Baclofen does not effect muscle spasm of the detrussor muscle of the bladder, as it is smooth muscle. It can effect the external urinary sphincter because it is striated muscle (like the muscle in your legs and arms). It may be that he was staying dry by DSD (detrussor-sphincter dysynergia) which means that the external sphincter gets tighter when the bladder muscle contracts, instead of relaxing as it should. He may need a change in anticholenergic meds (if already on them) or adding one of these meds to his regimen.

Ry really needs to have urodynamics done to see how his bladder and voiding are working neurologically, a test recommended every 1-2 years for most people with SCI, and more often if the bladder appears to change, there are frequent UTIs, more or less leakage, AD related to the bladder, etc.

Why does he use cloth washcloths to clean up after voiding instead of toilet paper or baby wipes? Those are much more practical, and you don't have to launder them or buy new cloth washcloths all the time.

(KLD)

SCI-Nurse.

Ry uses a cotton wash cloth because he uses a urinal. He uses to cloth not only wipe his penis but also to provide padding to the sharp plastic. I am thankful that after all these years, he has mastered the use of a urinal while lying flat on his back in bed. Using it while in his chair has never been a problem (once he convinced the docs that he really does have control of his bladder).

The only problem he has is that he can wait about as long as a three year old. The volume may not be significant but the need is urgent. He has no UTI's though he will test positive for 2 different bacteria that cause him no illness and no one at home has become ill from. We do, however, practice good hygene when dumping and washing his urinals. This is probably why we have not been exposed. I have chapped hands to show for my good hygene practices.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09