Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you see a doctor?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

How often do you see a doctor?

How often do you see a doctor as a formality?

Not counting when you have an issue and you "need" to see a doctor?

My doctor is kind of forcing me to see him on average 3 times a year.
    For the most part this is a total waste of time and just a complete formality.
    I can understand having to go in once a year due to prescriptions, medical supplies etc. does this sound reasonable ?

This came to a head as I need a note to describe/detail my injury for a charity submission, and the doctors are demanding I come in for an appointment before it gets written up!

In contrast to my previous doctor, different city. Emailed my doctor the request, received note the next day !!

What kind of doctor?

Urologist so far been once a year, kidney ultra sound once a year sense I have only one. That takes care of the prescriptions and medical supply issues.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

For both of us, the annual visit is now once every 6 months. One visit includes a more thorough examination. Both include lab work. Neither of us take controlled meds.
    Since the practice is now owned by a hospital chain, our bill includes a "facility fee" for which insurance won't reimburse. We were told this is standard for Primary Care patients who were getting any Rx medications.

It's impossible to give a reasonable answer without knowing EXACTLY what the doctor is treating you for and what medications he is prescribing.

If he's literally doing nothing and not prescribing you anything or checking any labs, 3 times a year is probably a little much.
    One doc I know sees patients every 2 months if they are on any controlled substances (pain pills, benzodiazepines, etc), which is perfectly reasonable.
    If a doctor has started you on an antidepressant, it's standard of care to follow up in 6 weeks to adjust dosage and check for side effects until they can find a drug and dose that works.

Spinal care doctor, pretty much using him as my main doctor. I don't have a GP.
    No pain meds
    Prescription doesn't change.
    bowel care and bladder stuff.

Its different for me i see a doctor at least every 2-3 months. My neurologist who takes care of my spinal injury i see every 6 months to once a year.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Fortnightly, purely so I can get my scripts.

For someone 7 years post injury and stable, once a year should be enough. What does the doctor do during those visits? In some cases there is a need to closely monitor for side effects of drugs but you should know about that if there was. Most practices around here have a nurse practitioner doing Rxs for non-pain meds, supplies, etc. My primary care physician just pushes a button on his laptop to generate my prescriptions when I am in for a visit. For routine Rx renewal that is all handled by my pharmacy and his NP.

What insurance is paying for all those visits?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

SCIfor55yrs, This sounds totally reasonable to me.

Every time I have an appointment and they go to set up my next appointment, I'm having to force them to push me out for as close to 6 months as I can.

They pretty much do nothing at these appointments.. to the point where it really is starting to piss me off. And yes it's just to generate scripts for everything but pain meds. Different doctor for the pain meds.

When I lived in Seattle and I would see the spinal doctor at harborview after my injury, admittedly I had more reason to see the doctor more regularly, but even then it was only every 4-6 months and then they would check everything.
    I would have to get on the bed, full visual inspection of my whole body, weigh me, blood pressure, go over all the meds, blood tests, bone scan it was serious and professional.
    They also tried to be super preemptive, and had suggestions for things to try, keep me up to date with what was going on etc..

Medicare/Medicaid.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    For someone 7 years post injury and stable, once a year should be enough. What does the doctor do during those visits? In some cases there is a need to closely monitor for side effects of drugs but you should know about that if there was. Most practices around here have a nurse practitioner doing Rxs for non-pain meds, supplies, etc. My primary care physician just pushes a button on his laptop to generate my prescriptions when I am in for a visit. For routine Rx renewal that is all handled by my pharmacy and his NP.

What insurance is paying for all those visits?