View Poll Results: How familiar are you with FES cycling?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never heard of it.

0 0%
  • I have heard of it, but I have never done it.

2 22.22%
  • I have done FES cycling in physical therapy before.

3 33.33%
  • I own my own FES cycle.

4 44.44%

Thread: An Affordable FES Cycle!

An Affordable FES Cycle!

Hello CareCure!

I am an engineer that founded a startup company that has a mission to develop affordable FES cycles for home use. We want everyone who could benefit from FES cycling technology to have access to it.
    But 'affordable' is very subjective, so I wanted to start a casual discussion on what people think a good price point for a home FES cycling product would be, what features they want in an FES cycle, and more importantly, what features would you be willing to live without in order to make it more affordable?

Your feedback is much appreciated!

Alan, I know a lot about FES, I've got two Electrologic Galaxy bikes. I worked for a while for Electrologic and was trained by Steven Petrofsky. I would say keep it simple, I never really understood the need for the RTI have a motor to power up and down. I find it just as easy to use my arms on my Galaxy bikes. I don't think it's a major deal either having to transfer onto the bike as long as the seat is a easy transfer, one thing ELA screwed up on with the Galaxy was a hard to transfer seat vs. the Orion bike, I have one of those too and the seat is so much more easy to jump on and off.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

<$5000 I would consider affordable. If you're able to find out why Medicare/Medicaid aren't covering FES systems and solve that problem, price point wont matter. A starting price point of >$10k I would not consider affordable unless someone just had a settlement IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamlet View Post
    Hello CareCure!

I am an engineer that founded a startup company that has a mission to develop affordable FES cycles for home use. We want everyone who could benefit from FES cycling technology to have access to it.

But 'affordable' is very subjective, so I wanted to start a casual discussion on what people think a good price point for a home FES cycling product would be, what features they want in an FES cycle, and more importantly, what features would you be willing to live without in order to make it more affordable?

Your feedback is much appreciated!
    And the truth shall set you free.

Yea, I agree. Thanks for the reply.
    Insurance providers don't cover FES cycles because they believe that the studies that have demonstrated increased bone mineral density and improved cardiovascular health are, and I quote, "flawed".
    It is absolutely our goal to show them that our FES cycle does in fact have these benefits and get it 100% insurance reimbursed.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Alan, I know a lot about FES, I've got two Electrologic Galaxy bikes. I worked for a while for Electrologic and was trained by Steven Petrofsky. I would say keep it simple, I never really understood the need for the RTI have a motor to power up and down. I find it just as easy to use my arms on my Galaxy bikes. I don't think it's a major deal either having to transfer onto the bike as long as the seat is a easy transfer, one thing ELA screwed up on with the Galaxy was a hard to transfer seat vs. the Orion bike, I have one of those too and the seat is so much more easy to jump on and off.
    Interesting. Petrofsky is the father of FES cycling, having pioneered much of this field.
    Not having a motor would greatly reduce the cost, but many people who don't have as much control of their upper bodies may find it difficult, same with transfers...
    I actually do not know that much about the Galaxy bikes; I would love to pick your brain about it.
    Last edited by Alan Hamlet; 11-18-2015 at 03:20 PM.

Sorry for multiple replies; I am still getting used to the forum format.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    <$5000 I would consider affordable. If you're able to find out why Medicare/Medicaid aren't covering FES systems and solve that problem, price point wont matter. A starting price point of >$10k I would not consider affordable unless someone just had a settlement IMHO.
    Yea, I agree. Thanks for the reply.
    Insurance providers don't cover FES cycles because they believe that the studies that have demonstrated increased bone mineral density and improved cardiovascular health are, and I quote, "flawed".
    It is absolutely our goal to show them that our FES cycle does in fact have these benefits and get it 100% insurance reimbursed.