Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: QUADS ONLY: What do you enjoy doing or what makes you happy?

I'm five years post injury. About 2 years ago I started working with students, first with PT students. I volunteer but to be a trial patient for them in their labs as part of their curriculum. I find it fun, possibly physically beneficial, but very rewarding with the feeling of helping them to become better PT's. They are extremely appreciative.
    And last year I got involved with local university Engineering Department. I furnished a freshman design class with a project, something to benefit me, and gave them something to design and build. I ended up with a device that lets me, with very little hand grip, cook food on a grill. This school year I'm working with four different teams of engineering students on several different projects. I am a retired engineer and I think that helps me give them advice, but a non-engineer could do this.

Boating is an option (depending on many factors). Getting on a pontoon boat is fairly easy. Many now have plenty of power.

Also, I met a guy that takes quads skydiving. Haven't tried myself yet but still hope to.

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    I used to know two quad guys who bought a sailboat together. One didn't have much hand function, the other had a little. both used manual chairs. I don't think either of them is on this forum, they both seemed like happy people who were leading fulfilling lives. One was a naturalist and worked for the city open space, the other one was a photographer/videographer. They both had great family and friend support systems, and I admit I was quite envious. I think that is the key to this whole thing really.

I forgot that I ride horses (haven't done it much lately). I have enough hand function to hold the reins and control my horse. There is a quad guy in Georgia who doesn't have much hand function and he rides, I think he has some sort of loop over his wrist attached to the reins. Obviously riding is a thing most people don't do, but I wanted to mention it as a thing some quads do. Sorta extreme though I guess. Oh, one of those quad guys I knew had a Razor off road thing, he had very little hand function. From what I remember he had no hand function, but could knuckle things.

editing because I keep remembering things....

These same two guys were into waterskiing, and one of them snow skied as well. They both seemed well off financially and did a lot of traveling abroad. I think they are both into diving now, and one of them handcycles a lot. I'd love it if I knew someone where I live like these two so I could have a gimp buddy to do stuff with.
    Last edited by Sarafino; 11-20-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Sarafino how do you guys especially the one without hand function keep yourself up right, in the saddle I don't understand possible unless you're both incomplete or something?? Jus Curious. Because my wheelchair on both sides stabilizes my rib cage and often times it's best if I wear a strap around my chest as if I even hit a slight angle with my chair and jump forward outof the stabilizers I flop right out of the chair. My hometown is a big sailing community, never been my thing but I understand that a lot of quadriplegics do it always wonder how they get themselves into the boat, and how they manage to stay up right when the boat does sharp turns there must be at least one able-bodied person to assist. I got into my friends boat just to watch and I had to Carried in and sit right on the actual floor of the boat not the seats because I would just fall out on any given turn, two people had to sit beside me to hold me. I actually did go dung buggying in the Nevada desert, I didn't drive but their seatbelts are full harnesses if they tied enough keep you right in place. Only thing was i would go dysreflexia every time we hit a bump I bet some of you you might know the Nevada desert is not all smooth sand, kept my mouth shut try to enjoy it and tough it out but honestly I was quite concerned about fractures lol... Honestly If I had a bad one in the lower spine, pelvic area no matter what treatment I get involved in id never walk properly again.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 11-21-2015 at 01:02 AM.

I'm odd compared to most people. I enjoy doing things by myself. My co-workers are all ways asking me to go out with them. Rarely ever do. My favorite time are when I have a big commission day a work. Or have one of my investments, usually stock or option jump. I like when I have a good day at the track playing poker or the dogs. Watching sports and some times betting on them. Not that good at sport betting, so I don't bet that offend on sports. Love to spend some time fooling around with the ladies at the strip club. And I like doing the simple things like watching tv and sitting outside in the sun watching the birds and other wild critters. Oh, reading carecure!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    I'm odd compared to most people. I enjoy doing things by myself. My co-workers are all ways asking me to go out with them. Rarely ever do. My favorite time are when I have a big commission day a work. Or have one of my investments, usually stock or option jump. I like when I have a good day at the track playing poker or the dogs. Watching sports and some times betting on them. Not that good at sport betting, so I don't bet that offend on sports. Love to spend some time fooling around with the ladies at the strip club. And I like doing the simple things like watching tv and sitting outside in the sun watching the birds and other wild critters. Oh, reading carecure!
    Rainman I don't know if you see my post in the money section, but were you smart enough to investment in invivo theraputics when stock was going for less than $.50!!! Lockheed Martin last year?? Let me know I really hope you did

My hometown is a big sailing community, never been my thing but I understand that a lot of quadriplegics do it always wonder how they get themselves into the boat, and how they manage to stay up right when the boat does sharp turns there must be at least one able-bodied person to assist. I got into my friends boat just to watch and I had to Carried in and sit right on the actual floor of the boat not the seats because I would just fall out on any given turn, two people had to sit beside me to hold me.
    I used to be on the BOD of the Challenged America disabled sailing program, and worked at some of the events, so I do know about this a bit. People with paralysis were either manually lifted into the boats, or a pool lift attached to the dock was used. The seats in the boats were specially designed with trunk supports and sometimes even head supports, with straps to keep you in the seat even when the boat was heeled. We had ventilator-dependent sailors with both very high SCI and other disabilities such as MD or ALS who sailed. Controls can be joy stick or even sip-and-puff.

Here are some examples:

https://vimeo.com/33661491

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nNN2MQ6Avc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQa-AnQJ6UE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFIdZdUOOX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M35R5o-GHo

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Rainman I don't know if you see my post in the money section, but were you smart enough to investment in invivo theraputics when stock was going for less than $.50!!! Lockheed Martin last year?? Let me know I really hope you did
    No, I missed that one.

James, this is the type of saddle:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

When I was on the houseboat trip with the two quad guys they got lifted and out of the boat by other people. They seemed to have pretty good arm function, both used manual chairs. They seemed to do ok staying balanced, but they were using their arms or we were sardined in so they were held in place. We all went swimming with life vests on, before this I would never have thought of using a life vest. They also kayaked, they have quad grips for that, and the kayaks had supports in them and little pontoons off the sides so they couldn't flip. I think the one that has the Razor said the harness does keep him sitting properly, and I think you can steer them without having to grip like a car. Both these guys drove, too, and camped together. The one with less hand function had a service dog. I found myself wishing I were a dude and lived by them so we could all be buds