Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: QUADS ONLY: What do you enjoy doing or what makes you happy?

I've always enjoyed reading, watching movies, driving my van, going on the pontoon boat during the summer is fun although I do admit I'm quite jealous that the rest of the family gets to swim and tube, just hanging out with family and friends no matter what we do, and I'm about to be an Aunt in a couple months for the first time so I'm super excited about all the baby activities that are in the future

I loved whitewater rafting I wish my son would let me ride again moving to florida hope to be able get how and walk roll with my sis at beach going to ohio ths winter and we gonna skiing

but I love to read

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I used to be on the BOD of the Challenged America disabled sailing program, and worked at some of the events, so I do know about this a bit. People with paralysis were either manually lifted into the boats, or a pool lift attached to the dock was used. The seats in the boats were specially designed with trunk supports and sometimes even head supports, with straps to keep you in the seat even when the boat was heeled. We had ventilator-dependent sailors with both very high SCI and other disabilities such as MD or ALS who sailed. Controls can be joy stick or even sip-and-puff.

Here are some examples:

https://vimeo.com/33661491

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nNN2MQ6Avc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQa-AnQJ6UE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFIdZdUOOX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M35R5o-GHo

(KLD)
    See, I figured that's how they get in probably best to have an able-bodied person present. Sailboat capsize quite a bit do they not not, would want to be strapped in to good hah. But Like any sport if you enjoy it reward outweighs risk. Holy, that's pretty interesting. Sip And puff control on a boat who would've guessed that's crazy. Can this be done for car Car? I lack the arm function and core stability to safely drive even with automatic entering system

Quote Originally Posted by Sarafino View Post
    James, this is the type of saddle:

Interesting, that kinda makes sense but judging from the picture I can see you'll still need a bit of core stability especially when bumping around on those gigantic animals it has no hip and side stabilizes. I was chased by a horse once, tried to climb up the very small staircase to where the hay is stored. Thing had one eye and wanted blood lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    No, I missed that one.

Shit!! Me too man me too, was going to buy 10 K worth of in vivo's stock I still kick myself in the ass...

Howdy! I'm a C-5/6 incomplete quad of 28 years, little fine motor on left hand, none on right, manual wheelchair user though neck & shoulder pain/issues increasing with age, damaged lungs from near drowning that bleed, LOW blood pressure all my life average when sitting 80/60 (I'm 6'8"), no triceps

Hobbies - my #1 is that I collect and work on/half-ass restore old pinball machines Once I can get to them I can fix a lot independently, but what I cant I talk a novice friend through the repair, make them my 'hands' TRICKY getting/finding people to move such heavy machines, sometimes pay, sometimes friends, but once they are in place I can get it from there most of the time. I am also into model railroading (N & O Scale), retro video gaming (rebuilt many a controller to be more accessible), I have built several computers/PCs, bought an old mill house and am fixing it up and having fun making it accessible, others doing the work of course, designed and had built the best accessible bathroom I've EVER had, started playing guitar some after many years away, recording some simple songs (still struggle with this cause my hands do about 20% of what I USED to be able to do), music is HUGE, always playing, starting to collect vinyl again, go to local shows when I can, spend a lot of times with friends and family hunting vintage crap at flea markets Wanting to move into estate sales and auctions, love to find old stuff for cheap and then flip on ebay, most often for a profit. HUGE movie nut, installed a projector and large screen in this old house living room on the cheap

Exercise - 2 years ago started handbiking, use a handcycle attachment weekly on biking trail, real handcycle with local nonprofit when I get a free weekend, taught myself to swim again (my injury was during competitive swimming) and do that weekly at a local aquatic center, awesome staff there help me in & out, days i swim is a LOT of work, get down, dressed, drive 30 mins there, use lift in & out of pool, home to get wet clothes off, get dressed in dry clothes, a 4 hour ordeal but MAKE myself do it, and independently

Travel - have left this off for too long so trying to address, this year did Vegas (stayed at the new ARIA) with a girl I was dating, still friends, we then went to ALASKA together on a cruise, incredible

School & work - the best thing I ever did post-injury to reclaim/rediscover ME was to go to college, UNC Chapel Hill, earned a BA in psychology & MS in Rehabilitation Psychology, now a licensed LPC therapist, worked 10 years in community mental health, had some major health issues and depression after some intense work with very psychiatrically disabled people, back on my feet but struggling to get back working, 1.5 years of applications put in & not getting hired so volunteering my services at a local domestic violence resource center working with victims. BUT looking back school and that 10 years of work has thus far been the best thing for me post-injury, the most healing. Considering a PhD program at 42.

Please DONT think just because I posted the above I dont have days of sadness at what I cant do, I do all the time and can get in quite a funk and forget to be GRATEFUL, working on gratitude lately, an important practice, this injury is NO joke, but take it too serious and the effects can amplify your negative experience day to day IMO
    Last edited by LeeinNC; 11-22-2015 at 06:00 PM.

I must say, I was very encouraged by what I read in this thread. For example, I didn't know you could get in a boat, even with a vent. And I didn't know quads can ride horses. I would love to ride!

Well, I'm a C6/7 quad and although I am pretty independent, I have a trach so I need 24/hour nursing care.

I do drive independently and that is great but I don't drive just to drive. I should find more places to go!

I read a lot and do some writing to pass the time and distract from nagging nerve pain. I also like to watch documentaries.

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    I love documentaries, too, and movies, and shows I heard something the other day on the radio that sounded fun, 'traveling' by picking countries and making their food, once a week or so. I won't get to travel in my life, but I love different foods, I think you can get a small idea of what other cultures are like by cooking their food.

Quote Originally Posted by ricanstruction View Post
    I must say, I was very encouraged by what I read in this thread. For example, I didn't know you could get in a boat, even with a vent. And I didn't know quads can ride horses. I would love to ride!

Well, I'm a C6/7 quad and although I am pretty independent, I have a trach so I need 24/hour nursing care.

I do drive independently and that is great but I don't drive just to drive. I should find more places to go!

I read a lot and do some writing to pass the time and distract from nagging nerve pain. I also like to watch documentaries.
    If you have a strong able-bodied person willing to lift you, you can get in pretty much anything. That's how I got in the dune buggy, it's how most high quads get in anything... I'm curious how you thought that you couldnt get in?? Just have to be willing to be carried

My main concern is being in a boat with a trach, but also boats move around a lot as you get into them so I figured it would be impossible even if someone carried me in. I'm 150 lbs and try to avoid people carrying me. If there's a safe way to do it, I'd love to try!

My main concern is being in a boat with a trach, but also boats move around a lot as you get into them so I figured it would be impossible even if someone carried me in. I'm 150 lbs and try to avoid people carrying me. If there's a safe way to do it, I'd love to try!
    Did you look at the videos I posted? Using a dock-mounted lift, and with the boat at a dock and secured with lines, it is not difficult to transfer someone into these boats (Martin 16s). As I said we have those with ventilators who use them (and thus with trachs). The boats are also keel boats, which significantly increases their stability.

(KLD)

Dude you just get people to strap you down, or lay on the actual floor of the boat sit up and have two people put their legs beside you on each side and hold your shoulders just have to be willing to let other people handle you. Mind you the more strapped I'm you are if the boat ever did capsize you would be quite the hazard for yourself and others, something to keep in mind. Highly unlikely though, more likely in the sailboat I see it all the time but in a lake they almost never fully flip