Thread: Wheelchair design

Wheelchair design

Greetings, my name is Julian and i am a design student currently working on a project regarding Design and disability, specifically around manual wheelchairs. I have a few questions that for anyone who has been in, or knows someone that has spent a large amount of time in a wheelchair.

1. firstly what do you like about your chair(things you wouldnt want to change)?

2. What dont you like?

3. what environments do you experience particular difficulties in navigating that maybe arent being addressed?

4. Do you have any ideas for improvements to your chair?

Answers to any or all of these questions would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

1. Titanium, very lightweight

2. pointed edges of front seat

3. grass and gravel

4. less cost
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Can you consider a design similar to a Dyson Vacum? You can imagine a much smoother, more accessible wheelchair over tough terrain if you can construct something with one large (beach) ball design. Somehow push rims would have to be constructed along with a seating frame that would remain stable.

1) Ti chair light and bare metal which looks good no worries about scratches or nicks

2) sharp edges around front castors that gouge into my cabinets when trying to get close to the counter. Scissor brakes that open randomly

3)anything off the pavement also hills (unstable)

4) Cost is huge from the price of the chair to the cost of seat cushions/wheels/ brakes All ridiculously expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by SUdesign View Post
    Greetings, my name is Julian and i am a design student currently working on a project regarding Design and disability, specifically around manual wheelchairs. I have a few questions that for anyone who has been in, or knows someone that has spent a large amount of time in a wheelchair.

1. firstly what do you like about your chair(things you wouldnt want to change)?

2. What dont you like?

3. what environments do you experience particular difficulties in navigating that maybe arent being addressed?

4. Do you have any ideas for improvements to your chair?

Answers to any or all of these questions would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!
    1. Lightweight, rolls easily, super comfortable, looks pretty cool.

2. How low I am. Scares me at times.

3. grass, gravel, sand.

4. Nothing specific, not very creative.

1. Lightweight
    2. I'm 5'1" and sit so low in chair that I have difficulty with: shopping, dining out, cooking. I don't want to change 15" axle height due to fit of my zx1 scooter, but it would be nice if there was a way to temporarily and easily raise just the seat itself when needed.
    3. Encountering stairs at private homes!
    4. I'd like to see "on board" equipment that does not take away from the design. Equipment such as a hand-held and collapsible reacher would be nice - if it doesn't show (somewhat like a blind person's collapsible cane). An easily reached pouch for phone, wallet that is contoured to the front and side of the chair where one can easily reach - rather than struggling to reach the currently available pouches that sit hanging from seat rails behind one's legs. A backpack that can be quickly opened by swinging it to the front of you.
    And, Thank You for your interest in this!

1. Manual/power assist chair
    2. Cost and weight
    3. Not much. The power assist helps me with hills, grass, gravel, snow etc.
    4.Wish the batteries could recharge themselves while I propel my chair.