Thread: Tips for staying illness free?

Tips for staying illness free?

Since our immune systems are compromised I was hoping I could get some tips for staying illness free?

I am almost four years post and I've never really been sick except for when I was 17 and got hit with pneumonia real bad after only going to school for 3 days in January.

I think I haven't been sick because I haven't been able to get out much due to not having a wheelchair van, but I have one now so I plan to get out much more. I just don't want to get sick
    Male - early 20's - c5 complete since mid 2013

Wash your hands OFTEN or use sanitary wipes/hand sanitizer if you can't get to a sink often enough.

Get your flu shots. Ask your doctor if you should get pneumonia vaccinations, even though you may not be considered old enough.

Stay hydrated.

Eat a balanced diet high in protein, fruit, vegetable, grains.

Stay at a healthy weight.

Get as much exercise as your injury level allows.

Get at least 8 hours of quality sleep every night.

If you drink, drink in moderation.

Don't smoke.

i am not a good 1 to ask because i am naturally healty but eat well wash hands as our tires are fility but not sick since 2009 never got a flu shot or will i but it runs in my family we healthy my son is 40 never been sick but maybe a day

Blog Entries
    In addition to what gjnl says, I carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer and use it in restaurants right before eating. I avoid buffets and keep clear of food when I'm not confident how it might have been handled. Potluck dinners at church are a good example of the latter.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Blog Entries
    I never wash my hands or use sanitizer. I did before my accident but sanitizer dries out my hands and washing them makes water run down my arms into my shirts. I use Oil of Oregano in a little water everyday and the only illness I have had has been a cold about every other year since my accident (10 yrs). I use it for everything on the inside and the outside.
    I also eat healthy and exercise daily.
    Last edited by tarheelandy; 06-05-2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: addition