Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tobramycin bladder irrigation

Glad to hear that you are doing better. Keep us posted.
    ckf

thx CKF. I suppose its the 29-30yr sci smack down lol. I cant complain, I have been fortunate however all this new fun stuff is getting old quickly.

Would love to hear others updates on gentamicin instills.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    so far so good, 8 weeks no infections. urine got cloudy 2x and I just cathed in morning and instilled the gent a second time. likely was nothing. I have noticed since I started cathing and instilling that there are a few spec type floaties in the cath bag when holding up to the light, from what I have read and been told by friends in chairs that instill this is normal. uro says the gent likely stirs things up killing any bacteria.
    all new to me as I've been lucky with no issues to speak of.
    my gent routine: I cath before bed and instill 50ml of solution(120 mg gent to 50ml saline). I don't reflex void again until 4-5 am so long dwell time. I reflex void except for the evening cath.

I had a followup ultrasound a month in to this and it showed the hydronephrosis in right kidney had improved and kidney was "near" normal.
    zero side effects.

my uro said if I get a break through infection next step will be add 2nd cath(morning) and instill 2x per day.
    Good to hear instillation is going well. Like you I instill my last cath of the night and leave it in all night. I wear a regular Bard bag ,32 oz, and typically kick off a fair amount but works best for me leaving in to marinate over night. I also get some flakey stuff in the urine once in a while but not a big problem and my uro is fine with it.

Here is to many more months of no UTI's...

Good news. Thanks for the follow-up.

That is really incredible about the improvement in your kidneys as well.

Can I ask, did urine testing also show that your kidneys were having a hard time previously (eg.protein in the urine)?

My Dad uses a much lower concentration of Gentamicin than you are, but instills at night and in the morning. Interesting to hear your experience.

My Dad sometimes mentions "chunks" in the urine, but not for a long time.

yah, dwell time in the bladder seems to help. I stop drinking at about 7.30 so it stays in longer. some nights i'll void 800ml other nights 200ml. I'm guessing the floaty specs are sediment, sometimes urine isn't crystal clear but nothing you cant see through either.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    Good to hear instillation is going well. Like you I instill my last cath of the night and leave it in all night. I wear a regular Bard bag ,32 oz, and typically kick off a fair amount but works best for me leaving in to marinate over night. I also get some flakey stuff in the urine once in a while but not a big problem and my uro is fine with it.

Here is to many more months of no UTI's...
    Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Good news. Thanks for the follow-up.

That is really incredible about the improvement in your kidneys as well.

Can I ask, did urine testing also show that your kidneys were having a hard time previously (eg.protein in the urine)?

My Dad uses a much lower concentration of Gentamicin than you are, but instills at night and in the morning. Interesting to hear your experience.

My Dad sometimes mentions "chunks" in the urine, but not for a long time.
    HLH, blood work shows good kidney function but my right kidney has minimal hydronephrosis(now) and slight stricture in that ureter, scare tissue. left kidney always fine, normal.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer