Thread: Fight!....?

Fight!....?

Here's something I don't get...you get cancer? you wage a BATTLE against cancer. It's the way it's done, it's what society backs you for. In the past I've said we should "fight" paralysis. The response I get is ..."fight what?" what gives?

Cancer may be a little different in that you are "fighting" against alien cells (formed from your own cells) that are invading your body.

With CNS damage, if you are "fighting" paralysis (ie, the damage to your axons and neurons) I guess you could be seen as fighting yourself. Perhaps it would be better to frame it as fighting FOR research, the development of a cure, and the negativity of just accepting that the paralysis is never going to be cured or end. That would be my perspective.

(KLD)

I dislike the use of words like "fight" for both cancer and other diseases. To me it implies that those who lose the fight weren't strong enough or didn't fight hard enough. Much like those bullshit news stories that attribute someone with sci's recovery to their "determination" and "relentless will to survive" rather than the reality which is their random good luck and decreased swelling around the cord.

I'm a cancer survivor, and have never thought that the idea of "fighting" is helpful at all when it comes to disease and disability. Cancer is caused by one's own cells who have lost the ability to die: those wayward cells need to be eliminated or controlled, but it's not as if they are enemies intent on killing. Similarly, spinal cord injuries happen as a result of accidents or disease - there is no intention on the part of the cord to do us in. My thought is that it's more productive to support our bodies by taking good care of them (through appropriate medical care, exercise and good nutrition), than it is to consider our afflictions as if they were external enemies.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Because being patronizing makes people feel better

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Cancer may be a little different in that you are "fighting" against alien cells (formed from your own cells) that are invading your body.

With CNS damage, if you are "fighting" paralysis (ie, the damage to your axons and neurons) I guess you could be seen as fighting yourself. Perhaps it would be better to frame it as fighting FOR research, the development of a cure, and the negativity of just accepting that the paralysis is never going to be cured or end. That would be my perspective.

(KLD)
    Excellent! Well said... Is a perfect perspective I'd say